The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
SnS C10

A Few Updates/Progress

hey everyone as you might have seen i just bought this 73 c10 with 454 about two weeks ago. Well yesterday i went and painted the front grill flat black along with the headlight bezels. I also painted the 454 emblem GM Bright Red along with my c10 trim on the side of the fenders. I also cut 1.25 inches off of each front coil. its sitting about 3/16 of an inch off the bump stops. it rides great and handles much better. it also hooks up much better i guess because the weight transfer has been slightly altered.. Next plans are for a junkyard hood and driver door, 235/60/15 tires all around with flat black rallys, and a tow hitch for my boat as well as 4 inch dropped leafs.

Question for everyone, what exactly is done to achieve 4 " dropped leaf springs? can i do this my self?
Attached Images

SnS C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

Re: A Few Updates/Progress

I can't answer the questions, but I can say the grille looks great.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

The grill looks great. For your rear drop you have a few options. 1) Flip the axle for a 5-6 drop. 2) Or you could do shackles and hangers for a 4".

Oh and I am not 100% sure from those pictures, but the hood and door don't look like you need to replace them. They look like you could save them.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 05-15-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
SnS C10

well i would do the flip but i need to be able to tow my boat and i think 6 inch will be too much as it was on my 84 c10 swb. that truck had 4" drop leafs and 2" shackles. i bought the truck with the dropped leafs but was wondering how a shop or someone who has done it makes them "dropped"
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
SnS C10

well the door has a lot of rust bubbles on the bottom of the dent and the hood has a huge crease which you can see from the inside, the previous owner welded a piece of steel to stop it from bending so i will need a new one and for the door, there are atleast 10 73-87 c10's in the junkyard i go to that are complete and it will only be 50 bucks
Old 05-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Dapper Dan

I am no expert but my trucks previous owner removed some of the leaf springs. Right now I only have three leaves and measuring it is roughly 4" lower. It might not be the best option if you are going to be towing or hauling with your truck. Mine rides fine but the suspension seems pretty soft.
Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Dapper Dan

By the way the grill looks great
Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
JohnC

You can buy lowering leaf springs, or you can have them "dearched". F.Monroe has a set of the lowering leaf springs on his truck, and say they are really nice. I had a 94 GMC that we took to a spring shop here locally, and they dearched the stock springs to whatever we wanted. It was a lot cheaper than the new spring route. The place we took them to was called Fleet Pride. They have locations nationwide, so you may see if they have one in your area.

The grill looks great too by the way.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote