The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
49S10

Some Comparison between the S10 AD Engr. Kit & EZ Chassis Kit

I have a friend who recently became a dealer for EZ Chassis Kits. Since I previously used the AD Engineering Kit for my '49 I wanted to compare the differences so I visited my friend yesterday. He is in the process of building a "demo" truck with the EZ kit.

First of all, I noted that both kits have quality manufacturing but approach the swap from different view points; the AD Kit is more for the hot rodder who wants the basics to get the cab and bed mounted using his own selection of steering column, brake system, engine and transmission while the EZ Kit is geared toward using the maximum amount of S10 components.

For example, the AD Kit furnishes radiator support clip mounts (you cut the lower "u" from the radiator support), cab mounts, running board brackets, and bed mounting brackets. You need to add your own motor mounts,tranny crossmember, brake MC/booster, and a method to mount the bumpers. The column is also an item you select and mount. This appeals to the hod rodder who wants freedom to be creative. Price, $1000

Now the EZ Kit takes a different approach. It is designed to use the maximum amount of S10 components and therefore you should purchase a complete S10 donor vehicle in decent shape. The EZ Kit utilizes the S10 steering column, brake master cylinder/booster, brake pedal assembly, emergency brake & cables, and wiring harness. In addition to the cab and bed mounts, it also provides a bulkhead bracket that spans the front frame horns and supports the radiator and the front bumper, as well as a reinforcing/mounting plate for the area on the firewall where the column and brake pedal assembly mounts. Price, $1500

My friend is keeping track of the hours to install the EZ Kit and any items he has to purchase outside of the kit. The AD Engr. Kit does require more creativity on the swap and the purchase of additional items. The AD Engr. Kit comes in bare steel while the EZ Kit is power coated black. Both kits are either bolt-on or weld-on. Personally, I don't like the idea of needing to grind off the power coat to weld on the brackets. Also, keep in mind an added expense for either kit, depending on the condition of the S10 purchased, is a complete rebuild of the brakes and front suspension.

I'm not promoting either product and I think each has it's merits depending on the desire of the end user. I just thought this info might be of value to someone considering the S10 swap.
49S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Re: Some Comparison between the S10 AD Engr. Kit & EZ Chassis Kit

Good info ...thanks

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
cali707sf

Thanks for the comparison. I've been looking for a semi non-bias opinion for a lil while now LOL

I appreciated the comparisons.
cali707sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'm still wondering where the cost saving of using an S-10 chassis as apposed to an aftermarket crossmember comes in when one pays 1000 to 1500 for the "kit" and then around 500 for the S-10 at today's going rate.
I can see it if you are using the plans one of our members drew up for the mounts and making your own or having a local shop fab them as that would be pretty inexpensive in comparison and most of the folks who push using the S-10 chassis claim to do so because they say it is an inexpensive way to have an updated chassis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
mknittle

Here a good s10 would go for about a $1000.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
RedneckRodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm still wondering where the cost saving of using an S-10 chassis as apposed to an aftermarket crossmember comes in when one pays 1000 to 1500 for the "kit" and then around 500 for the S-10 at today's going rate.
I can see it if you are using the plans one of our members drew up for the mounts and making your own or having a local shop fab them as that would be pretty inexpensive in comparison and most of the folks who push using the S-10 chassis claim to do so because they say it is an inexpensive way to have an updated chassis.
I agree. Having done this swap already, I would have to say the only reason it was cost effective for me was that I was able to fan my own components. I still think these kits are a great option, but if I were to spend the money it would have been on a Scott's kit. I guess their claim to fame is that its all "bolt on", and I think that is a great way to get new people involved in this hobby that may be a little gun shy when it comes to fabbing their own parts.

Either way, glad to see somebody giving an honest opinion of both kits. This is bound to help somebody make a good decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
RedneckRodder is offline   Reply With Quote