The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
av8tr33337

What NOT to do with your old 216

Please don't do this to your old 216. Just retire it quietly. That old motor deserves a much more dignified end to it's life.

Notice the guy starts getting all figity and nervous. He's probably thinking to himself, "Oh MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE"

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: What NOT to do with your old 216

That's too bad, it sounded like it might have been in decent condition before it got destroyed. I wonder how long it might have ran if it had had a radiator with coolant.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
dirtracer81_2

Thats a little rough. Can't believe it ran that long after it started knocking.
dirtracer81_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
N.T.Q

he must have seen all the posts about them being better used as boat anchors and he does not have a boat
N.T.Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
OrrieG

At the swap meet yesterday, there were a lot of 216 and 235 parts being sold, I think more guys are wanting to rod the sixes. I know I tried to sell mine (and give it away for scrap value) for 20 years and finally got tied of it being in the way.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
AZ59apacheguy

That's sad
AZ59apacheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

idiot waste of good stuff to somebody

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
idiot waste of good stuff to somebody
Idiot, wasteful, immature, jackass.

Even if you don't want it, think it's worthless are you SO friggin stupid that you can't imagine it has some value to someone else? I guess if you're born with a silver spoon up your butt you don't care but I find this kind of stuff intolerable. Makes me want to just biyatch slap the little turd that did it.

Ahhh, there...I feel better now!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
RanchTruck

It's an old, common, small displacement motor of relatively little value. Would it have been better to send it to the shredder complete and "dignified"? I say get the most entertainment out of it before sending it to china.
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchTruck View Post
It's an old, common, small displacement motor of relatively little value.
Little value? In my area, running 216's go for $300-$400. 235's go for $500-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchTruck View Post
Would it have been better to send it to the shredder complete and "dignified"?
More like send it to someone who would actually use it.
My 216 had a crack in the water jacket. I took it apart, and sold the whole motor. I managed to keep 3 other engines up and running...
I'd say that was a dignified end to my old 216.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

It was a working piece of mechanical equipment (the wasteful comment) that had value to SOMEONE and the idiot that did this is so shallow that he didn't even care enough to offer it for sale to make a few dollars (hence the silver spoon comment) or offer to GIVE it away to someone who might have used it (the jackass comment).

It was was intentionally ruined for some jackasses' juvenile idea of what constitutes "entertainment" and if you can't relate to any of this then you're more than likely cut from the same cloth as the person that did this. There's a reason the old saying, "The Truth Hurts" has lasted as long as it has.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
It was a working piece of mechanical equipment (the wasteful comment) that had value to SOMEONE and the idiot that did this is so shallow that he didn't even care enough to offer it for sale to make a few dollars (hence the silver spoon comment) or offer to GIVE it away to someone who might have used it (the jackass comment).

It was was intentionally ruined for some jackasses' juvenile idea of what constitutes "entertainment" and if you can't relate to any of this then you're more than likely cut from the same cloth as the person that did this. There's a reason the old saying, "The Truth Hurts" has lasted as long as it has.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #13
dicer

A come on, everytime someone talks about cutting up a good frame to put on a goofy independant front suspension, I get all kinds of stuff. Its his, he paid for it and can do with it what he wants. Yeah ruining the engine is stupid, just like cutting up or ruining anyother RARE part for our trucks. People like this just make it more difficult to find good parts.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
1project2many

Saving parts to sell or give to someone who wants them can be very disappointing. Once upon a time I sent a 57 GMC Cameo truck to the crusher with running Pontiac engine and working Hydramatic because no one wanted it. Also sent the long wheelbase chassis with I6 + Hydramatic from my first truck which was running and driving for scrap. Also sent a running 1928 Chevy truck "doodlebug" for junk because no one would give me $25 that I paid for the fuel pump and I (as an 18 year old) had nowhere to store it. Those three items bother me to this day. But a person might be surprised how many times I end up junking something that works because no one wants to give anything for it. A 4L60E went in December that had about 20k on a rebuild. Tried getting $100, $50, $25, even a "cup of coffee" but no one wanted it. I sent an AD pickup box to crusher last Friday. The floor was a 1/2" thick plate of steel. The hardware was decent, had original chains, hooks, tailgate hinges, and some of the stake pockets were good. Discounting the scrapppers, no one locally wanted it. Not for the steel plate floor and not for the hardware. Several people asked me to take the hardware off and then give it away but if I had the time to do that to do that I probably would have put it on Ebay years ago.

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
busjockey

This is why guys like me have a hard time finding original parts for our old trucks. Some of us like them the way they were built.
busjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
Thanks for the support.

1project2many: So....after all the verbiage you think it's alright for this person to intentionally destroy a usable engine, or not?
Sure it's "his" to do with as he pleases but that doesn't make ANYTHING someone does right, proper, appropriate, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
_Ogre

rough crowd.
i use to run many a classic thru demo derbies in the late 70s and early 80s
i love the carnage

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
1project2many

Quote:
1project2many: So....after all the verbiage you think it's alright for this person to intentionally destroy a usable engine, or not?
Sure it's "his" to do with as he pleases but that doesn't make ANYTHING someone does right, proper, appropriate, etc.
So what exactly are you asking??

It probably goes without saying that what's alright doesn't include destroying someone else's personal property or doing bodily harm to another. But I'm pretty sure that's not what you're getting at.

I'm not angry with anyone because the engine was destroyed. Unfortunately, that type of thing happens all the time. Had I gotten to speak with him beforehand I might have tried to suggest he offer it for sale or free because someone out there could use it. I might even have offered to trade a couple of lawnmower engines so he could blow those up instead. But it's his engine and ultimately he has the right to make as many bad decisions as he wants. At the end of the video I am both entertained and saddened by what's happened.

Does that answer it for you?

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-23-2013 at 03:14 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Saving parts to sell or give to someone who wants them can be very disappointing. Once upon a time I sent a 57 GMC Cameo truck to the crusher with running Pontiac engine and working Hydramatic because no one wanted it. Also sent the long wheelbase chassis with I6 + Hydramatic from my first truck which was running and driving for scrap. Also sent a running 1928 Chevy truck "doodlebug" for junk because no one would give me $25 that I paid for the fuel pump and I (as an 18 year old) had nowhere to store it. Those three items bother me to this day. But a person might be surprised how many times I end up junking something that works because no one wants to give anything for it. A 4L60E went in December that had about 20k on a rebuild. Tried getting $100, $50, $25, even a "cup of coffee" but no one wanted it. I sent an AD pickup box to crusher last Friday. The floor was a 1/2" thick plate of steel. The hardware was decent, had original chains, hooks, tailgate hinges, and some of the stake pockets were good. Discounting the scrapppers, no one locally wanted it. Not for the steel plate floor and not for the hardware. Several people asked me to take the hardware off and then give it away but if I had the time to do that to do that I probably would have put it on Ebay years ago.
Yeah I bet you kick yourself for that now. I know a guy that give 200 to 300 for one complete setup hydramatic.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Simple, I was asking if you are ok with what he did?

I simply cannot think of a single thing that BOTH "entertains" me AND makes me "saddened". Doesn't work for me.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
av8tr33337

Wow I did not intend to start such a heated debate.

I guess everybody has the right to do what they want with their own personal property. I was just suggesting that people please consider doing something constructive with their old parts.

Maybe I'm just sentimental and a car or truck or engine is just a hunk of metal, but I think if your all honest when you think back about some of the vehicles you have owned, especially the ones that gave you years of faithful service, you would probably get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach at the thought of turning it into shrapnel.

But hey.... thats just me to each their own.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr33337 View Post
... the ones that gave you years of faithful service, you would probably get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach at the thought of turning it into shrapnel.

But hey.... thats just me to each their own.
EXACTLY my point.

Even if it didn't give ME "...years of faithful service" it certainly gave someone; or many someones, decades of use. These things are 60-70 years old for gawd's sake.

Just my 2 cents of course, but I find some people so damn shallow, so damn vacuous that it doesn't even occur to them to have a little respect for things that we all used to be proud of...like a stout old straight six engine made in America by hardworking people that needed its reliability.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
dubie

I'm with Ogre on this one BRING ON ANOTHER INLINE!!!!! That was cool!! We don't know the circumstances behind this engine, it could have had some previous internal damage and wasn't worth salvaging anything off of.

Don't be so quick to judge here guys

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
I'm with Ogre on this one BRING ON ANOTHER INLINE!!!!! That was cool!! We don't know the circumstances behind this engine, it could have had some previous internal damage and wasn't worth salvaging anything off of.

Don't be so quick to judge here guys
If you can say this, I can disagree with it.

It was NOT "cool". It was wasteful and unnecessary.

EVEN if it, "...had some previous internal damage" - what's the point of intentionally destroying something? Where is the "entertainment" in this to you? I just do NOT "get" this.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
dubie

it's the same thing that drives people to watch Nascar, moto cross, monster truck's or any extreme sport, it's the anticipation of failure with the ending result being some sort of fire ball or crash.
This is not wasteful in my mind because inlines are as common as small block Chevy's in our parts. We used to deliberately blow up the engines in our demo derby cars when we were done with them and send them to the crusher afterwards.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote