The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
vht

Bought a 51, got questions

Went and looked at it today and bought the truck. Have to pick it all up this weekend. The cab has heavy surface rust on it from being blasted and then stored in a unheated pole barn. It is a stripped cab, so the rust is inside and out. Don't really want to blast it again, so is the anything I can use on it to neutralize the rust? I can DA the outside and some of the inside, but there will be a lot of places I can't get too. What would you all do in a case like this? I'm sure I'm going to have more questions. Need to get all this stuff home and take inventory. Love this site.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Bought a 51, got questions

If you don't want to blast the truck and you need to get to get to places you can get to with a DA sander you can use phosphoric acid. I have used the phosphoric acid at Home Depot. It cost about 20 bucks for a gallon and you can cut if 50/50 with water. Here is the results of my frame after a couple of sessions of the 50/50 mix. For the frame I sprayed it and wrapped it in plastic so the the stuff would stay wet longer. Its active as long as its wet.

Here is what it looks like its under 20 bucks.

Here is a before and after shot of my hood. I used phosphoric acid I mixed it 50/50 in a spray bottle. Like I said earlier as long as its wet its active. Once the rust is gone I raise it with water (it may take a couple of applications depending on the rust problem). Then I wired wheel all the flash rust (they say you can paint over the residue but I don't trust that) and then I shot in with epoxy primer.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-24-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
vht

Thanks, that looks like it'd work great. I'll pick up some Sat.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Keep it off your concrete man it will change its color. It may take a couple of application but it works great. If you have any question feel free to post here or pm. Always add water to the acid and not the other way around. Its a very mild acid but its good practice when you are dealing with acid.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote