The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
truckpower429

Lightbulb 3 speed to borg warner t10 swap anybody done this ??

i have a 68 GMC 1/2 ton with a 350 and a 3 speed tranny and a buddy of mine suggested to me that i should swap it out for a borg warner T10 or a muncie 4 speed out of a car. i was wondering if anybody has done this swap and what all is involved with this .. i was told that it will bolt up to the same bell housing and use the same clutch assembly but i need to know if the tail shafts are the same so i could use the same drive shaft.. any help will be appreciated.. thanks Willie
truckpower429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:26 AM   #2
jlmtrout

I did this swap with a 6 cyl. but is basically the same thing. The swap is pretty straight forward, just might need to fab up a tranny support, and check the drive shaft length. You didn't say, but if you have a long wheel base and you need to change the length of your ds, consider eliminating the center carrier bearing and have a one piece made. You'll have to cut the bottom of the carrier bearing crossmember. I had my ds done at Truck Pro (they work on big rigs) for about $186, including both u-joints and the tranny yoke. If you have bench seats you'll need to heat and rebend the shifter stick so that it won't hit the seat in 2nd and 4th. Hurst makes a shifter stick for trucks, but still needs to be bent for clearance. This is what I went through making this conversion anyway. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep on truckin'......Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
ts71281

I just did the swap this spring. Put an M-20 muncie in my truck. The 3 spd wasn't so cool behind my 454 All you need is a 67-68 bellhousing because the center bore of the bell is smaller to fit tight around the muncie. Put it all back together and put your 4 spd in. Then cut your hole in the floor with your tool of choice, insert stick and drive

Joe
ts71281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #4
truckpower429

Thanks Jerry, Hey Joe is yours a short bed ?? i should have a the 68 bell housing but i dont know until i check but did you use the same drive shaft? also what shifter are you using thanks Willie
truckpower429 is offline   Reply With Quote