The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Azar

Is there any demand for 350 with 3 speed on the tree?

Thinking about pulling my drive train and trying to sell it to help fund my 5.3 swap. Obviously include all 3 on the tree parts as well... Is it even worth anything??
Posted via Mobile Device
Azar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Is there any demand for 350 with 3 speed on the tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
Thinking about pulling my drive train and trying to sell it to help fund my 5.3 swap. Obviously include all 3 on the tree parts as well... Is it even worth anything??
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure , $50.00 when would you like me to pick it all up ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Sure , $50.00 when would you like me to pick it all up ?
So when I sold my business a few years back they didn't take one floor, so I had to unload a floor's worth of lightly used office furniture that cost me quite a pretty penny when I bought it new a year or two before.

Anyway, I had the "Used Office Furniture" company come out and give me a quote. He said "Well, I figure about $1500".

I said "That's some depreciation - I paid over $10K a year or two ago and you'll only give me $1500 for it?"

He said "No, the $1500 is my fee to remove it".

I donated it - what I could to a school, some to another local business. Couldn't give him the satisfaction!

But after that experience I was wondering if GOM was offering to buy it for $50 or was charging $50 to haul it away? :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Not much. Most people would pay core or scrap prices for used stuff like that.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
hugger6933

I think I may have 4 of them [complete setups] so selling in bulk will really pay!

That is similar to me selling trucks for 2000 that I have 2500 in. The guy asked me how I could ever make money I said Volume Volume Volume!!!
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Azar

Well, crap. I was really hoping to get a couple hundred out of this junk to at least help offset the cost. Guess it's back to the street corner for this guy. Haha.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
indymachinist

Lol. A running 350 just worth scrap value? I don't think so.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Of course it's worth something. It's a perfectly good engine and transmission that didn't need to be removed from the vehicle. Not everyone is caught up in the notion that these older vehicles all need to be upgraded to modern engines and transmissions to continue doing what they've done so well for all these years.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
Dave K.

The only way any engine (aside from an uber rare one) is worth much is if you sell it before pulling it so the buyer can hear/see it run, check oil pressure, check for leaks, listen for noises and so on. Unless I know a seller or a friend confirms he's legit scrap/core price is what a seller is going to get for a motor from most sane people..... just been burned one too many times....
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #10
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
The only way any engine (aside from an uber rare one) is worth much is if you sell it before pulling it so the buyer can hear/see it run, check oil pressure, check for leaks, listen for noises and so on. Unless I know a seller or a friend confirms he's legit scrap/core price is what a seller is going to get for a motor from most sane people..... just been burned one too many times....
Exactly my point. Any used engine I automatically assume it will need a complete rebuild and unless the heads come off and I can mic the cyl walls, I must assume it's already been bored to the max or the walls are coned beyond rebuild.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

I wish it was closer , Any interest in packing it on a pallet ? and I would need the trans cross member . Everyone is into the RESTOMOD change the engine, change the suspension, change the trans, etc etc etc But you have to remember the real value down the road is STOCK . once you molest a stock truck it's done . 5 years down the road when the paints scratched and the frames tired and the Chevy twist is horrendous the value is gone . These frames weren't designed for 500 hp burn outs every weekend and once you drop it and add front and rear heavy duty sway bars and performance suspension your weak link becomes the frame and the 50 year old rivited cross members . I'm guilty myself I'm right in the middle of a '67 496 Muncie short bed restomod build but you can bet I'll be riding on a boxed x member frame . I'm also in the middle of building a stock 6cyl 3 ott '67 short bed with a posi 3.73 That I'm sure I'll end up driving more in the end .

http://http://http://

P.S. This is the same frame /posi and 292 I offered for sale 3 weeks ago and nobody wanted it

http://

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-11-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
MARKDTN

If it is original to 69-72, it is worth more than $50. Put an ad on Craigslist while it is in the truck and they can hear it run and drive it. I would think more like $300 for complete, running, with all accessories/brackets oil pan to air cleaner-it would be worth a little more if it is a 4-bolt main. Not sure what year you have, so that could go either way. Another $75-100 for the transmission and bellhousing. The exhaust manifolds are worth $50-75.

You should also take out ads on Camaro and Chevelle boards to market it to those looking to do restorations and looking for those casting numbers. In that sense, 1969 and 70 will be worth more than 1971-72. They won't want the transmission or manifolds.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

My $50.00 offer was just me joking You know like haha I'll give ya $50.00 . List it on craigs list for $500.00 it will sell . What are the casting #s ?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
If it is original to 69-72, it is worth more than $50. Put an ad on Craigslist while it is in the truck and they can hear it run and drive it. I would think more like $300 for complete, running, with all accessories/brackets oil pan to air cleaner-it would be worth a little more if it is a 4-bolt main. Not sure what year you have, so that could go either way. Another $75-100 for the transmission and bellhousing. The exhaust manifolds are worth $50-75.

You should also take out ads on Camaro and Chevelle boards to market it to those looking to do restorations and looking for those casting numbers. In that sense, 1969 and 70 will be worth more than 1971-72. They won't want the transmission or manifolds.

You don't need an engine in a vehicle to hear it run. I can have any complete distributor engine that is sitting on the floor started within a half hour, if it is a running engine. Granted, you can't leave it run for 15 minutes but you can run it long enough to tell if it has any major issues with no problems. I have done it many times. I just did it with a Chevy 292 a while back.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
Dave K.

If you have any receipts and history that helps as well.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #16
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You don't need an engine in a vehicle to hear it run. I can have any complete distributor engine that is sitting on the floor started within a half hour, if it is a running engine. Granted, you can't leave it run for 15 minutes but you can run it long enough to tell if it has any major issues with no problems. I have done it many times. I just did it with a Chevy 292 a while back.

LockDoc
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but if I can drive the vehicle I get a better "warm and fuzzy" that it is good. If I hear it on the floor (with no exhaust) I don't really know if it knocks some. I don't know if the advance works or what shape the carb is in. To me, to give top dollar I want to drive it. This is for an engine I want to use as-is. If I want a builder, then what you describe is adequate.

To me though, there is not much demand (other than restoration or just to sell a car) for worn out 2-piece seal 350s. If I buy a builder, I want 1-piece seal motors. I want 2 bolt valve cover heads. I have nothing against old 350s, it is just that as a practical matter if I go to the trouble and cost to build one, I want something that won't leak as soon as it is built. For the same $$ that it costs to build that one, I can have a brand new 2-pc seal crate engine.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #17
BCOWANWHEELS

350 4 bolt main engines go for 5=600.00 as a good core, heads go for 100-200 as cores if not cracked, 3 speen man trannys go for 1-200. Q-jet carb cores go for 50-75.00 exhhaust manifolds 100-175.00 power steering setup 100-200 a//c same,alt setupn 75-100 tins 100-175,fan blade 50.00 question why pull a excellent engine for that junk 5.3............................ And those 3 speeds live forever............ I,e got one with almost 1 million trouble free miles on it...
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
Grumpy old man

What some parts are worth varies greatly depending on what area you are in and trying to gauge value is subjective to so many variables it's impossible to say what any local market value is where the parts are located unless your there . They are worth what someone standing there looking at them is willing to pay in cash at that specific minute . I buy parts locally for pennies on the dollar with cash in hand . I just bought an original solid '67 core support with the solid battery tray and washer bottle holder and a heavy front sway bar with frame mounts for $75.00 cash in hand . So whats all that worth above the salt belt for original GM metal ?. No pictures and no engine codes makes it all just a guess
Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

all I know is over the years I have seen all sorts of parts/components ripped out of these trucks and discarded only to later have people searching and willing to pay good money years later. Every single one of these trucks came with a set of steelies, yet people are paying good money to ship these heavy things from coast to coast when for 40 years they have been tossed on the scrap pile. How about all the spark plug heat shields, air cleaner assemblies, even charcoal canisters. I used to toss that stuff straight away.

There will always be people wanting to put back in what originally came out of their vehicle. While all the trend followers are leaping to LS motors there are actually individuals looking to place that original 250/3spd back where it belongs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
BCOWANWHEELS

keep in mind what these original trucks are selling for now. the more you molst them the less thee worth. 67-72 was premier years for gm,
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #21
Grumpy old man

Please ...keep tearing them up .keep converting them to late model semi restomods . twist the frames ,toss the original sheet metal for new overseas junk ,drop them on the ground and add air bags and run them into the ground as fast as you can !pull the original drivelines and sell them as scrap. I'll just keep buying junk stock trucks and hoarding them until your done ... Better than any savings account pays over time ! And it pays back in cash !
Old 12-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #22
67/Heaven

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by kcsa75; 12-12-2015 at 10:26 PM.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #23
Azar

Quote:
Please ...keep tearing them up .keep converting them to late model semi restomods . twist the frames ,toss the original sheet metal for new overseas junk ,drop them on the ground and add air bags and run them into the ground as fast as you can !pull the original drivelines and sell them as scrap. I'll just keep buying junk stock trucks and hoarding them until your done ... Better than any savings account pays over time ! And it pays back in cash !
Will do. Looking forward to doing all of the above. I'm honestly kind of surprised a lot of people get upset at me not keeping the truck stock. Y'all sound like the rotary guys when I ls1 swapped my 88 Rx7 (10th anniversary edition, only 1500 made so considerablely more rare than a 69 longbed c10). But to each their own, you buy as an investment, I didnt.

As an aside, that was a good looking frame. Thatd go for a decent price up north
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #24
qwik

I just sold my stock 350/4 speed (Saginaw) combo quickly for $1k on cl.
qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #25
88Ironduke

Talking Re: Is there any demand for 350 with 3 speed on the tree?

Quote:

P.S. This is the same frame /posi and 292 I offered for sale 3 weeks ago and nobody wanted it
It always comes down to be too far away. Love them 292's, you're just too far away from me.

Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote