The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
iostorm

A question for everyone with drop spindles

Here is the scenario;

This is a build in progress, so I dont know where it will sit currently.

I have the CPP 2.5" drop spindles, but want to go just a it lower, ideally just to the top of the tire with 20" wheels. so my initial thought was to get a 1" lowering spring and hope for the best, as I would rather be a bit high than a bit low.

Then I began to think about how much weight was not going back in the front of my build, SBC, aluminum heads and intake, heater delete, no fenderwells, lightweight battery. I figure all of these items will total approx 150lbs, so I began thinking about going to a 2" drop spring vs the 1" drop springs to offset the less weight.

So here is the questions, if you are running drop spindles are you running an additional drop spring? If you are are you running aluminum heads and intake?
What diameter wheels are you running with all of this? Where does it sit in relation to the top of the tire?

I really appreciate any help you can offer with this, please dont say slam it lower as that is not my desire, I truly just want to be at the top of the rubber.

What I want to avoid is purchasing multiple sets of springs if possible, as I really dont want to cut springs but rather just get the right spring in place.

Thank you.

Last edited by iostorm; 02-04-2016 at 09:01 AM.
iostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
snipescastle2

Talking Re: A question for everyone with drop spindles

I have 3" drop spindles and 2" drop front springs, I have most everything back together and the only things left on the front end are the hood and the coolant/ trans fluid left to add, so my ride height is about where it will be and I have plenty of clearance with my tires (P295 60 R 15's) 15" x 8" rims at all four corners. I'll snap some pics later when I get home from work.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
RodnRudy

Re: A question for everyone with drop spindles

A lowered spring should have the same spring rate as the stock height one if it is manufactured correctly. Larger diameter wire or coil spacing will achieve this.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
SoCoC10

I ran a 3" drop spindle and a 2" spring and had rubbing on big bumps on 245/45/20's on 20X8.5 Boss 338s. But I also had steel cylinder heads and intake, heater and inner wheel houses. I eventually ran a 1" drop spring and had no rubbing issues. You might consider just running a stock spring until you can have everything together and let the suspension settle. Then just cut a coil if you want to go an inch lower or buy new springs if you want to go lower than 2" or more.
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
iostorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoC10 View Post
I ran a 3" drop spindle and a 2" spring and had rubbing on big bumps on 245/45/20's on 20X8.5 Boss 338s. But I also had steel cylinder heads and intake, heater and inner wheel houses. I eventually ran a 1" drop spring and had no rubbing issues. You might consider just running a stock spring until you can have everything together and let the suspension settle. Then just cut a coil if you want to go an inch lower or buy new springs if you want to go lower than 2" or more.
I would be very happy withh that stance pictured is that with the 1" spring?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
iostorm

Looking to buy my front springs tomorrow, can anyone else share your experience on this?
Old 02-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Use springs that are too high, cut to desired ride height. (This will only work for the front. The rear coils are tapered on both ends.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
SoCoC10

Yes that picture was with the 4" total drop. 3" spindle and 1" spring.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
csfields

2.5 CPP drop spindles w/ 1 inch shorter spring and on the rear 4" shorter springs and 2" blocks. (20 inch wheels)
Attached Images

71 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 PS, PB
The Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584045

The Brake Upgrade http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695699
csfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
iostorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfields View Post
2.5 CPP drop spindles w/ 1 inch shorter spring and on the rear 4" shorter springs and 2" blocks. (20 inch wheels)
Looks great I just got the 1" springs today as well, thanks for posting.

P.s. great banana bike
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #11
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I have 3" drop spindles and 2" drop front springs, I have most everything back together and the only things left on the front end are the hood and the coolant/ trans fluid left to add, so my ride height is about where it will be and I have plenty of clearance with my tires (P295 60 R 15's) 15" x 8" rims at all four corners. I'll snap some pics later when I get home from work.
Ben
Ben I would like to see different angles of those 295/60's on the corners. 295 isn't to wide on the front?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #12
drewbert41

I saw a spring and shock lowering kit that did not include drop spindles. Are drop spindles required to lower our trucks or are they just better?
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #13
snipescastle2

Talking Re: A question for everyone with drop spindles

The drop spindles allow the front suspension to remain in it's factory geometry,but moves the spindle pin upwards allowing the drop.
At first, I was going to cut one coil off the stock springs, then I seen how close the drag link and tie rods were to rubbing each other,didn't like that idea at all.... bought the correct springs, drop spindles and everything clears just perfect, I did buy the front sway bar bracket for lowered truck too, that keeps the sway bar in line also.
I will have to post the pictures when I get back, as I don't have any on my phone, however, if you look at my build page "Serious Black" there may be some more pictures there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653816
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote