The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
mkdesign

Charity case

Hi guys. I've been checking out this site for a long time. You have all been an excellent source of information and inspiration for my own project, a '74 GMC 3/4 ton. I purchased the truck from a local charity that takes donated vehicles and resells them to help finance a halfway house to aid troubled youth. A very worthy cause that also netted me a great truck. The purchase price? 700 dollars.Name:  q.JPG
Views: 1998
Size:  74.1 KB
The truck was in surprisingly good shape, both mechanically and body wise, so the first project was a major clean up. Then it was straight into the garage to drop it as deep as I could practically drop a 3/4 ton. I then added the weathered door art (gotta have a sense of humor) to match the patina of the truck and drove the wheels off of it in the summer!Name:  crop.jpg
Views: 3402
Size:  57.8 KB
When this winter arrived it was back in the garage for the 1/2 ton conversion. I used a 1/2 ton donor truck for the majority of the suspension components but went to Early Classic Enterprises for their 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton, 2 1/2" dropped spindles. They fit great, save a ton of work, and the service was excellent, so I would highly recommend going this route if you are thinking of doing this conversion yourself. I then added the gray spoked 5-spokes that I think really suit the truck. Now I'm just waiting for spring to arrive!Name:  photoside.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  44.1 KB,Name:  back.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  38.3 KB
What's next? I am now looking for a 6' fleet side box for a short bed conversion planned for next winter. I've included a quick rendering I drew up that should represent what I envision the finished truck will look like. With that I look forward to interacting and sharing ideas with all of you!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  38.3 KB
mkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote