The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
cericd

Another One Bites the Dust

So, the other day I ran across something I had been looking for for over 2 years now. An actual NOS 1970 only inner grille. It was on ebay and I had my hesitations about whether or not it would make the trip to me intact. Everything seemed okay as I slid the grille (which was wrapped in close cellulose foam) from the original GM box. Then I carefully began unwrapping the foam to reveal a pristine cleanly molded original GM part then as I unwrapped the last corner, BAM!!! There they were staring at me like two knocked out buckteeth.

Here are a few photos showing how it was packaged. Such a shame. This could have been avoided.

I knew I was taking a chance not requesting to have this item packaged more securely but I was assured by the seller that he had shipped several this way without incident. I don't doubt that claim but as they say "there's a first time for everything."

If you want to ensure that you receive your NOS or rare parts, Keith (lolife99) has a great thread on just that subject. I should have listened but it's not every day you find a seller willing to go to those lengths to package a part.

Another new old stock part bites the dust.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 03-24-2015 at 07:52 PM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Re: Another One Bites the Dust

Too bad/
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

You can fix it. Get a scrap piece of a old inner grille and put chunks of it in a glass jar with some MEK solvent. Over the next days the plastic will dissolve into a paste. Brush the cleanly broke pieces (without sanding them), on the edges with the paste you made and tape into place in a few spots. In a day-2days, the solvent will dissipate from the paste and create a plastic weld. If there are any excess paste from the joints, don't worry, a file or some sandpaper can knock it down. Saves a nice piece. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Thats a shame. I'm sure the shipping co will say it wasn't properly packaged and then its up to you and seller to resolve who should pay. I would think he should cover all damage since it does look feebly packaged. Could probably glue it back together and make it at least usable in some form?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Thats a shame. I'm sure the shipping co will say it wasn't properly packaged and then its up to you and seller to resolve who should pay. I would think he should cover all damage since it does look feebly packaged. Could probably glue it back together and make it at least usable in some form?
I've been in contact with the seller and it seems like things are moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately i didn't pay the "usable in some form" price. I paid the NOS Rare GM Part on ebay price.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
tommys72

There are a bunch of things that could be said here...only my best guess, but, I'd assume you want the money back, he doesn't want to give it back and get a broken part back. fixing it and using it would be the easiest. Probably not what you want to hear again, but it's both parties faults. His for not packing more thoroughly, yours for not telling him to do just that being that it's a valuable and rare piece.

Good luck

Tommy

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
cericd

Incorrect. I contacted the seller through ebay prior to paying for the item expressing my concern for it being damaged during shipment. The seller responded by saying how it would be shipped and that they had shipped several grilles over the years with not one issue. This thread was not started to bash the seller and I haven't done so. The seller has been very responsive and told me that this item was not packaged to the same standard as a '71-72 grille that he also shipped last week. This was posted as a cautionary tale to those who value originality in these old trucks. Nothing more.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
cericd

Oh and thank you 71blksuper4x4 for the informative post on how to repair these grilles. I may just test that out on my original 1970 inner grille.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
I've been in contact with the seller and it seems like things are moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately i didn't pay the "usable in some form" price. I paid the NOS Rare GM Part on ebay price.
Its sucks that it happened but the damage does look fixable, work with the seller on your now discounted NOS part due to the lack of effort in packaging correctly on his part, do the plastic repair and then enjoy your find. I see that you mention having had looked for over two years to find this inner, you could have messaged me on this when you first started looking. The last NOS one that I sold was $250. 7 or so years back, I do not follow ebay but am curious what todays "NOS Rare Part on ebay" going rate is for a real NOS 70 style inner with the black inset vertical bars? Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
sduckworth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 View Post
You can fix it. Get a scrap piece of a old inner grille and put chunks of it in a glass jar with some MEK solvent. Over the next days the plastic will dissolve into a paste. Brush the cleanly broke pieces (without sanding them), on the edges with the paste you made and tape into place in a few spots. In a day-2days, the solvent will dissipate from the paste and create a plastic weld. If there are any excess paste from the joints, don't worry, a file or some sandpaper can knock it down. Saves a nice piece. Trevor
Thanks Trevor for the tip, I have a old grille that needs to be repaired. I love this forum.

Good luck Chris on getting the issue sorted out. I do have a old grille insert if you need a piece off of it if you end up keeping the insert.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #11
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Also, just noticed the shipping label attached to the outside of your above pictured grill box, at the bare minimum that thing should have been double boxed (if not crated in plywood) for the ride. Mel
Classic Bowties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
I knew I was taking a chance not requesting to have this item packaged more securely but I was assured by the seller that he had shipped several this way without incident.
Well, he just proved himself wrong. This was his gamble and he lost. It is not your responsibility to request proper packaging, it is his. If he received your payment ok, you should receive your part ok. Time for this seller to own up!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
70cst

Sellers need to read Shipping 101.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
Fatherflash

Trevor is correct that this can addressed using MEK. If you go this route, please use more than adequate protective equipment (glasses, ventilation, respirator, no direct skin contact) while doing this repair. MEK can really screw someone up especially over the long term.

Once glued in place, I would also recommend you add a layer of 120 fiberglass impregnated with adhesive to an area that is not visible once repaired. This will provide some support to structure that has been removed due to incurred damage. 120 glass is 0.005" thick and can be worked very easily even when impregnated with glue. It also sands well and can worked so it is not at all visible through sanding or finish filler application once repaired. If you need advice on any of this, let me know and I will provide what I can.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
Trevor is correct that this can addressed using MEK. If you go this route, please use more than adequate protective equipment (glasses, ventilation, respirator, no direct skin contact) while doing this repair. MEK can really screw someone up especially over the long term.

Once glued in place, I would also recommend you add a layer of 120 fiberglass impregnated with adhesive to an area that is not visible once repaired. This will provide some support to structure that has been removed due to incurred damage. 120 glass is 0.005" thick and can be worked very easily even when impregnated with glue. It also sands well and can worked so it is not at all visible through sanding or finish filler application once repaired. If you need advice on any of this, let me know and I will provide what I can.
Thanks for the additional info. If I end up doing this repair I'll likely be in touch.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #16
cericd

I just noticed I forgot to include the link to Keith's "How To Package..." thread: 67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=522965

Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

I bought a fender off a member here and they assured me just a cardboard box would do. *I had asked for a wooden crate.*

Well, guess what? UPS dents the crap out of the thing. UPS (finally) paid for most of the bodywork but I had to kick in the rest. And....I will NEVER again allow a piece that can break or be dented ship without a crate. PERIOD.

Sorry this happened to you. *I had a rifle sight stolen out of my mailbox last month...still waiting on the seller to send my money back on that one.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote