The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
Mack B

Telltale signs of original type of engine

This is something I’ve been curious about after I’ve learned some details from this forum, and purely for entertainment as I know anybody could have done anything in the last 56 years.

After I acquired my 63, I checked the casting number and going by that information alone determined it may have the original 283 in it. It’s obviously molested, but I had no reason to think otherwise until I noticed orange paint flaking off the bellhousing revealing green paint.

Assuming the bellhousing is original to the truck (and that’s original green paint) that would mean it had a 292 right?
Did the 6 cylinder trucks have different throttle lever arms or anything else different from V8 trucks that would be a clear giveaway?
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
sirJim

Re: Telltale signs of original type of engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
This is something I’ve been curious about after I’ve learned some details from this forum, and purely for entertainment as I know anybody could have done anything in the last 56 years.

After I acquired my 63, I checked the casting number and going by that information alone determined it may have the original 283 in it. It’s obviously molested, but I had no reason to think otherwise until I noticed orange paint flaking off the bellhousing revealing green paint.

Assuming the bellhousing is original to the truck (and that’s original green paint) that would mean it had a 292 right?
Did the 6 cylinder trucks have different throttle lever arms or anything else different from V8 trucks that would be a clear giveaway?
The 6 cylindre throttle arm Goes down The v8 Goes up

62 burb in the making.
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 AM   #3
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirJim View Post
The 6 cylindre throttle arm Goes down The v8 Goes up
Aware, but are they the same arm just flipped or different length arms from a factory standpoint?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
PGSigns

The numbers you need are the ones on the front of the block on the pad in front of the passengers side head. That will give you more information on the origin of the block. Things like the radiator and shroud clutch linkage can be indicators of change.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
sirJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
Aware, but are they the same arm just flipped or different length arms from a factory standpoint?
They are 2 different arms different length.

62 burb in the making.
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
The numbers you need are the ones on the front of the block on the pad in front of the passengers side head. That will give you more information on the origin of the block. Things like the radiator and shroud clutch linkage can be indicators of change.
Jimmy
Nothing on the block, I assume at somepoint it got machined away. I’m certain my shroud is an aftermarket replacement, but what are the differences in radiators themselves? Going by memory I have a 3 row radiator, would that be different from 292 to 283?

What exactly is different about the clutch linkage?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

It seems like the VIN would tell if it came with a 6 or v8.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
Mack B

Not according to anything I’ve read.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The VIN on the '60-'66 trucks do not indicate what engine was installed at the factory
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
60-66

Theres a few ways. In a perfect world lets say its a 10,000 mile original truck and the engine was taken out and thrown away 10 years ago but the truck is untouched otherwise, and that's the way you got it. In that case the 292 passenger side mount would be in the front bolt position , so you could look for bolt marks from the lock washer under the frame rail. Second is the throttle arm as stated above. Both 292 and V8 arms point up ( not down for six like mentioned above) The V8 arm is longer and bent forward. Im posting pictures of each. Third would probably be tough but the engine wire harness came with a white paper tag on them when new , that will have a 4 digit part number that is the last 4 digits of a 7 digit number that will be called out in a parts book for 6 or V8. 4th idea is , if the truck came from the factory with Gauges , the 292 had a much longer oil line routed to the passenger side to the side of the block just ahead of the starter. V8s were short and routed to the back of the block by the distributor . Again , this is in a perfect situation .

Heres the 292 oil line routing for a truck WITH factory gauges.

Heres the 1963 292 throttle arm.

Heres a few of the V8 1963 arm. Ive seen a few that were just longer and NOT bent like this but this is a factory original 63 V8 truck.

WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
Mack B

Great information! I’ll double check but I don’t believe there is a bend in my throttle arm, from memory it looks like the top picture.

Those plug wire holders in the v8 picture are they factory? I recognize them, po had cut the arm down and bolted them to the firewall.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
60-66

One other thing I forgot to mention. With the 292 passenger side motor mount being in the forward position, the fuel line comes up behind the motor mount making it shorter than a V8. On a V8 the fuel line comes up in front of the mount.

Yes , those plug wire holders are factory 63 V8. Measure the length of your throttle arm , Im not positive that all were bent in fact I have V8 original trucks that are straight.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
vince1

Thanks for those pictures. I was going to lengthen mine and it is good to have a reference to know what the originals should look like.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #14
cryowagon

I went through this with my 64. Someone managed to put a 194 in it. I found green paint on the bell housing. It was also obvious that the passenger side motor mount had been moved to the forward position. There was still an imprint in the grease on the frame from its original position. The driver's side mount doesn't appear to have been moved. The steel fuel line on mine ends behind the motor mount and has rubber hose ran over the mount to the fuel pump on the 194. I measured my radiator and it is the standard radiator for the 292 & 283 with manual transmission, although it was also optional with the 230. The truck also has the correct air cleaner for the 283 & 292. That was enough evidence for me. I now have a 292 from a 1979 K30 that I'm getting ready to put in it.
cryowagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #15
Mack B

Here's what I've got:

--I do in fact have the bent throttle arm.
--my fuel line did run past the motor mount
--3 row radiator
--had the factory wire dividers

---I rewired the truck and if the tag was still present its long gone now
---the forward engine perch holes on the frame have ground straps bolted to them, so no witness marks that are helpful.
---green bellhousing.
---was an M-21 on the other side of that belhousing, so it's been touched.
---3 row crank hub pulley that I'm positive didn't belong on this truck.

----A po who seemed to do somethings really well and other things not so much. I doubt he would have tracked down the correct motor mount for the passenger side, or throttle assembly, or changed the fuel line.

I guess it's most likely a V8 truck, even if this motor or bellhousing turn out to be not original. I appreciate all the information!