The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

my progress...or lack thereof...

a couple people (including EDDIE) have asked me how my truck has been progressing, well here is what has...or hasn't been happening.

Since I have no heater in my garage, working on the truck during winter never happens...during winter is when I purchase and stockpile lots of parts to keep me busy all summer. So far this winter I have purchased a stock steel hood (to replace my cowl hood I sold), I have ALL my gauges and gauge wiring harness (ultra lights), I have purchased a pair of PW/PL doors, Hooker Super Comp headers, MSD6AL box, all fuel delivery components (AN fittings, SS braided lines, etc), had the firewall/cargo light shaved and smoothed, and bought some Harland Sharpe roller rockers.

What I have left to purchase is..Painless wiring kit, body mounts, PS/alt brackets (Alan Grove), radiator, and that should be all i will need to get the truck running.

My plan is to get the cab painted (firewall/underside...inside is mint still) and put on the frame, once that is done I can wire the truck up and assemble the interior. Once the truck can move on its own, I am going to have the fenders and hood jammed and put them on. Once the front is finished I will move to the bed, there I have to fab an access panel for the fuel door, weld in a new section of bed floor (thanks to the Car Craft burnout contest and one mangled tire), put on new front panel and both wheel tubs, and have the gas door and stake pockets shaved. Once that is finished, put the bed on the frame and hopefully get the truck painted.

I am sure I am missing lots of little steps but hopefully you all get the general idea of where I am going.

Wish me luck!

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
BigRed

I'm slobbering over all the fun stuff you have ahead of you! And it's nice to work at your own pace also. I don't have the convenience of that as mine has to get me to work every day. Good luck!!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Jeff,
I just wanted to know whats going on. Last pictures (frame, engine, tranny) I seen looked great. I was just hoping you had some more pictures to look at. Your truck is gonna be one bad mutha! Sounds like your gonna be busy this summer, cant wait to see the progress.

Just my opinion, I think you should have the inside painted too. Your doing so much work on your truck, you should also go all out on the paint.

Bigred, I hear that. I wish I had another car (70's Chevelle, or an older gm car, impala, buick, etc.) so I could work on my truck and drive the car or vise versa. Some day......... when I get a job that pays or my girl friend gets out of school and makes good money
Old 02-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff,

sounds like you have a lot of fun stuff to do when it gets warmer. Can't wait to see all the progress reports.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:12 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Jeff sounds like a good plan. Next thing to buy is a garage heater

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:18 AM   #6
Ric83

Man, drooling over all of this and it is just the explanation as to what is going to get done. Can't wait to actually see all of this. Make sure to post pics as you go when you do get on this.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:23 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by 79BIG10
Jeff sounds like a good plan. Next thing to buy is a garage heater
Yeah, but then that takes money away from Yeller.

Thanks for the kind words guys...helps keep me motivated.

Right now I have my fuel pump on e-bay as well as the doors, both auctions are going pretty good...once I sell the elec pump I am going to purchase the mechanical one and plumb in the fuel system.

If only I could sell the 76 I would be set (hint hint)...the extra money I make (hopefully) off of that will purchase the Painless 73-87 wiring kit I need.

Wish me luck!

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote