The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
66shortwide

HP tuners newb questions

Hey guys,
Was thinking of going ahead and buying HP tuners - everything I've read indicates to go ahead and get the pro version. Anybody on here use it? I've got my 4.8 in my 66 truck I'd like to tune on, and I would also like to use it on my wife's 2012 cts-v. I saw a lot of talk about wideband sensors - so do you have to install one on every car that gets tuned?

Lots of questions, just seeing if their is anyone with some experience with it.
66 C10 Short Wide
63 Chevy II(nova)
66shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Custom 68

Re: HP tuners newb questions

Thats what I use, I have the pro version. there is a way to use some other non-used input like egr or something that will allow you to use a wideband on a non-pro version. I went ahead and got the pro and didn't look back.
Some tuners will turn off the front o2 sensors during tuning (most do) and swap one of those with a wide band and run the cabling up to the HP tuners to get the data needed. That way they don't drill and weld a bung into the exhaust when they are done tuning they swap the stock back in turn them on and are done.
so yes every car needs one to utilize that function but is not necessary.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
siggyfreud

If you're really going to get deep into tuning you ideally want a wideband sensor, because you'll get much better resolution on the air/fuel ratio using one. There are some newer cars that have them from the factory. I'd be surprised if the stock CTS-V sensors weren't wideband already since they are a high-hp forced induction car.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
First c10

I just received my HP tuners Pro box last night. I will be watching this thread and many others...
good luck
Scott
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Kainedogg

Good luck friend. I have the Non-Pro version but will be using one of the other EGR/AC inputs to get my PID info when the time comes.

C10 build (twin-turbo) http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...didate-501987/
Kainedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:36 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Get the Pro version, with all the external inputs for the wideband/logging. Its physically possible to make some tweaks like turning off VATS and stuff like that, or just copying settings from another tune and trying it out...but to actually know whats happening, and do a ground up tune or make serious performance changes yourself, its pretty much needed.

If you aren't worried about portability, you can get larger "stationary" widebands used from time to time. They are the larger more oldschool things "regular" shops and older performance shops would have. Not all will interface to the HPT, but the readings they give are still just as good.

IMO, its worth spending money right in the mid-range and getting a wideband like the lower level Innovates, the Autometers or a couple others. These come with a decent quality sensor and are accurate enough for tuning. Most of them are designed as all-in-on units, so its just a regular size gauge which has its internal electronics, and then a big lead for the wideband 02. The ones from bigger companies will usually interface directly to the HPT box and allow you to use them for data-logging, and viewing metrics including the 02 readings all at once. This is nicer than going over a separate log of wideband readings, or not having a log at all and only having live readings to go against (if thats the case, I highly suggest enabling live-tuning mode in HPT so you can work realtime)

Avoid the cheapest ones or some of the ones on ebay. Many use a low-end universal car 02 sensor which isn't reliable enough for this purpose.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
66shortwide

Thanks for the replies, I guess its time to suck it up and purchase it.
66 C10 Short Wide
63 Chevy II(nova)
66shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
First c10

Great info.... has someone put together a step by step guide of the basic ECM program?
GO GO!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
Great info.... has someone put together a step by step guide of the basic ECM program?
There are some guides and stuff over on the HP Tuners forum. The reality is tho, most folks who are that fluent in ECM Programming, also make money on it. There is a sort of stigma against "new" tuners due to the huge # of people that have bough HP Tuners and started to tune friends vehicles and blow them up. The learning curve is sort of a barrier to entry, and not everyone wants to change that.

The reality is tho, if you pick up the program and use the starter guides that do exist, you can get your feet wet pretty quickly. You won't jump right into SD tuning boosted vehicles, but learning how fuel and spark tables work, and a LOT of math.

When you take on learning HPT, your basically agreeing to learn automotive engineering. Even tho the computer will do the math for you and help interpolate adjustments, knowing the system behind those figures is vitally important.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
First c10

66shortwide I forgot to ask you if it was okay for me to ask questions in your thread? I was going to post the almost exact same type HP tuners question to the forum. It sounds like we will be doing this together.

Thanks br3w I have a few more questions but want to make sure it's okay to ask here!
Scott
GO GO!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Its totally fine to ask, I'll be brutally honest if I have to. If you have troubleshooting or progression questions, feel free to ask.

FWIW I draw the line at physically sharing a tune, because there are certain things that are sorta proprietary in the way you choose to handle some functions. But I'll still be glad to give you an idea of what we do and some things to consider when approaching it.

We've been trying to assemble the materials to do one and two-day lessons on ECM setup with our partners at UpshiftRacing and Total Power.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
First c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Its totally fine to ask, I'll be brutally honest if I have to. If you have troubleshooting or progression questions, feel free to ask.

FWIW I draw the line at physically sharing a tune, because there are certain things that are sorta proprietary in the way you choose to handle some functions. But I'll still be glad to give you an idea of what we do and some things to consider when approaching it.

We've been trying to assemble the materials to do one and two-day lessons on ECM setup with our partners at UpshiftRacing and Total Power.
Thanks Br3w, Info or help is what I want. I am starting basic and just want to learn it and say I did it.
I will be starting with the 5.3 LC9/6L80E tweaks before I get to involved with starting from scratch.... if that makes sense.
GO GO!!!