The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
diggerbob

best quadrajet to get?

I am planning to ditch my edlebrock carb in favor of a qjet. Can anyone suggest a particular model year to look for? I am running a 295 hp, 350 ci crate motor and a 700R transmission. Are the throttle plates interchangeable between years? I may need to do that so that I will have the right geometry for the TV cable.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
enaberif

Re: best quadrajet to get?

Anyone that starts with 1705 or 1708 will be the best ones to get. Also try to get one with a electric choke or one with a heater choke that you can convert to electric.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
MagmaJct

I'm in the process of the same change-over as you.

I have what appears to be a 4MV for a 1973. It's for a manual transmission, as the throttle arm extension for the TH350 kick-down is missing.

Looking at ads for carbs for my truck, looks like the throttle arm is entirely wrong. That is, while the throttle cable lines up, the spring attachment point does not line up, and if the kick-down extension was present, it still wouldn't line up with the cable from my TH350.

Good Luck!

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Anyone that starts with 1705 or 1708 will be the best ones to get. Also try to get one with a electric choke or one with a heater choke that you can convert to electric.
X2, also look a the potential carb, in the center of the carb where the air cleaner gasket sits. The more desierable ones have a small silver disc in the casting. It's removable for the APT adjustment. The Q-jet answer man is www.cliffshighperformance.com send him an email w/ your carb number, he will sell you parts you need to calibrate carb to your engine specifically. He has a book also, very helpful...
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
X2, also look a the potential carb, in the center of the carb where the air cleaner gasket sits. The more desierable ones have a small silver disc in the casting. It's removable for the APT adjustment. The Q-jet answer man is www.cliffshighperformance.com send him an email w/ your carb number, he will sell you parts you need to calibrate carb to your engine specifically. He has a book also, very helpful...
I would definitely agree with this. Buy Cliff's book, it has everything you need to know about Quadrajets, and it's easy to understand. If you buy parts from him, they're well-made and manufactured to withstand the ethanol most modern gasoline has added to it (E10).
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
DUDLEY

some of my buddies are going back to Qjet after many years of calling them junk. I have two on my shelf right now but have an edelbrock on my truck. Why the switch? Am i missing something?
DUDLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerbob View Post
I am planning to ditch my edlebrock carb in favor of a qjet.
Why? I gotta ask... WHY?
If you are thinking the Edelbrock is a pain to tune... Just wait until you get a Qjet.
Before you do anything... click on this link: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...&submit=search
click on the "Carb Owners Manual" box towards the bottom of the page and READ pages 9-17.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
Why? I gotta ask... WHY?
If you are thinking the Edelbrock is a pain to tune... Just wait until you get a Qjet.
Before you do anything... click on this link: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...&submit=search
click on the "Carb Owners Manual" box towards the bottom of the page and READ pages 9-17.
Lol a qjet is dead simple to tune. Most people who have troubles have no idea how they work.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDLEY View Post
some of my buddies are going back to Qjet after many years of calling them junk. I have two on my shelf right now but have an edelbrock on my truck. Why the switch? Am i missing something?
That's an easy one. It's because the Quadrajet is simply the best all-around carburetor ever made. Its small primaries allow you to get good fuel mileage if you drive conservatively, and quick throttle response if you punch it. The huge secondaries give you all the flow you could possibly use, but only open on demand from the engine, so it's basically impossible to over-carb an engine with a Quadrajet. It's completely reliable, and as enaberif (firebane?) says, if you have a basic understanding of how it works, you set it and forget it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
That's an easy one. It's because the Quadrajet is simply the best all-around carburetor ever made. Its small primaries allow you to get good fuel mileage if you drive conservatively, and quick throttle response if you punch it. The huge secondaries give you all the flow you could possibly use, but only open on demand from the engine, so it's basically impossible to over-carb an engine with a Quadrajet. It's completely reliable, and as enaberif (firebane?) says, if you have a basic understanding of how it works, you set it and forget it.
Exactly and most of the qjets hat people are using are 30-40 years old and NEVER been rebuilt and if they have been its probably not proper.

And lets not forget dead last that when qjets were properly running ethanol didn't exist which now destroys rubber parts in your vehicle which is why you need rubber materials that are ethanol rated.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
Stickman

I agree with all the positive thoughts. Once you understand how they work they are awesome. They work extremely well with the 700R4, buy Cliffs book and get a kick down cable from Bow Tie Overdrive and you will be happy.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
I am planning to ditch my edlebrock carb in favor of a qjet. Can anyone suggest a particular model year to look for? I am running a 295 hp, 350 ci crate motor and a 700R transmission. Are the throttle plates interchangeable between years? I may need to do that so that I will have the right geometry for the TV cable.
It's spelled H O L L E Y, digger.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
outdoorsman310

make sure the qjet you get is not bent from somebody over torquing it.
outdoorsman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
mechanicalman

Quote:
80-89 305-350 non-feedback truck up to 1 ton.
Check out the application list on this Summit rebuilt carb.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su.../applications/

This is what Edelbrock used to sell as the "1904". The "1903" is the same except it used a hot air choke stove inside the choke housing on the same carb.

Carb base interchangeability is hit or miss.

This carb has the right geometry for the TV cable if you get the bracket off the same vehicle the carb comes off of.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #15
cpavelko

The best stock Q Jet is a 71-75 buick carb from what I read. The real early ones (prior to 68 I believe) have issues. I picked up this book, pretty useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Qua... http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Qua...
Google Book Preview
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #16
chip46wis

I just bought a reman carb from a company that claims to have reman 1 million carbs-----warrantied even! Q-jet for a 350 while it does run it drips gas and thus makes the truck burn extremely rich and smoke--used about 4 hours tops.--I bolted on a new reman from another major Co. and it runs perfect! NO more q jets for me EVER! Now of course to send it back its about $45.00 at MY expense and no gas in carb ect. Not happy here. OH and I bet I need to send it with a slip so they have to sign for it or they will say they never got it. OK POd here.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:26 AM   #17
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDLEY View Post
No. Edelbrock (Carter AFB/AVS) works much the same with simplified mechanics.

One "advantage" of the Q Jet is the small primaries and the large secondaries; that I suppose could be arguable.

The Q Jet always had adjustable secondary air valve. The AFB is hard to adjust (modify really) but the AVS stands for "Air Valve Secondary" is spring loaded and externally adjustable, like all Q Jets.

I prefer them both, I run what I happen to have or acquired cheaply.

I especially like the Q Jet on my truck now, it has an altitude bellow on the extra jet so it compensates for barometric pressure (came from Mexico City). Dyno tuned it courtesy of Arizona Emissions testing.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #18
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46wis View Post
I just bought a reman carb from a company that claims to have reman 1 million carbs-----warrantied even! Q-jet for a 350 while it does run it drips gas and thus makes the truck burn extremely rich and smoke--used about 4 hours tops.--I bolted on a new reman from another major Co. and it runs perfect! NO more q jets for me EVER! Now of course to send it back its about $45.00 at MY expense and no gas in carb ect. Not happy here. OH and I bet I need to send it with a slip so they have to sign for it or they will say they never got it. OK POd here.
Sounds like the fuel wells are leaking. It would be better and less expensive to fix that then if it runs good you could maybe sell it? You could say "hear it run, ride in it, buy it and take it home with you" then put your other carb back on. OR chose the better carb and sell the other one. Then if your present carb ever starts leaking you know how to fix it.

Here's what you need to fix it, how to and where to get:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...et-carburetor/
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/parts.html
Old 03-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #19
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Lol a qjet is dead simple to tune. Most people who have troubles have no idea how they work.
I agree that if you know how they work they are a great carb. Im not saying anything bad about a Qjet. There is just way more (and easier to find) info out there for an Edelbrock.
Here is my way of thinking'...
Why spend any amount of $ to change what you have, only to have to learn it. When you can learn what you already got for free. Trust me... I don't no have a lot of great things to say about Edelbrock (the company, not the products).
But the carb, just like a Qjet, is a good carb if you know how it works.
So, My thought is. If you have to learn something on a carb... Learn with what you have. Why pay $ to change headaches if a guy doesn't understand either one.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 03-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
Doug's68SS

i had Cliff's build mine for me, he will gather all of you infomation(cam, heads, motor, trans, gears and how you will use it) on the vehicle you are putting it on and builds it and runs a flow test to make sure it will work properly on you engine.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's68SS View Post
i had Cliff's build mine for me, he will gather all of you infomation(cam, heads, motor, trans, gears and how you will use it) on the vehicle you are putting it on and builds it and runs a flow test to make sure it will work properly on you engine.
X2. That's like getting a dyno tune, priceless and alleviates a lot of headaches. I assume it worked out well for you?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
I agree that if you know how they work they are a great carb. Im not saying anything bad about a Qjet.
Here is my way of thinking'...
Why spend any amount of $ to change what you have, only to have to learn it. When you can learn what you already got for free. Trust me... I don't no have a lot of great things to say about Edelbrock (the company, not the products).
But the carb, just like a Qjet, is a good carb if you know how it works.
So, My thought is. If you have to learn something on a carb... Learn with what you have. Why pay $ to change headaches if a guy doesn't understand either one.
X2. AND, due to the fact they function so similarly AND the fact that the AFB is a more basic, easy to work on carb, a great carb to learn on if you never did a Briggs and Stratton LOL. They share vacuum retained power pistons tied to metering rods in the primary jets , but unlike the Quadrajet that has secondary metering rods tied to the air valve (probably better) the AFB has mechanical secondaries a little more basic with jets to control mixture and air metering valve to control bog.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #23
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman310 View Post
make sure the qjet you get is not bent from somebody over torquing it.
X2, look for the chewed up metal under the front bolts. Muscleheads! LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #24
rayray767

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/4944488047.html
rayray767 is offline   Reply With Quote