The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
dannyboy

72 Saddle Tank Fuel Gauge Sensor Unit

In 1972 the original owner had two special made heavy duty saddle tanks made custom. They fit right in front of the rear tires.
I want to take the tank out of the cab and fit up fuel gauge sending units on top of the tanks. There is already a 3 way valve set up. By adding the new sending units and a switch so my stock gauge either reds right or left tank is all the easy part.
From reading other gauge/ sensor posts it seems the ohms of the original sending unit is 0 to 90 ohms. Is that correct ??????
I can not seem to find a universal fit sending unit with that rating?

Anyone done something like this and recommend a sending unit that will work with my stock gauge.
Thanks
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: 72 Saddle Tank Fuel Gauge Sensor Unit

Summit offers a variety of them, just google 0 to 90 ohm sender. One p/n is TAN-GML.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
dannyboy

Will check out Summit, have never looked there.

Thanks Danny ex Libby Montana boy

Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Those might not be custom made.... It was common back in the day for dealers and other shops to add extra tanks. Travel Tanks (long out of business) was one.

If Summit doesn't pan out, try local RV / camping supply places.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
El Dorado Jim

autozone has the sending units, these tanks were aftermarket add ons back in the day,they are 90 ohm sending units for chevy...I bought my sending units from JC Whitney but Summit does sell them too...you will need to cut a new hole and drill and tap the holes for the new sending units, or they will fit in your existing holes that are there but that is where the suction tube is.If I remember right I mounted my sending units in the existing holes and welded in new bungs and made my own pickup tubes....I removed my in cab tank also.....my tank filler tube comes out right in front of the rear tires, I didn't want to cut holes in my bed and use the doors....my sons truck has the doors and looks fine.... you can then use an electric motorized fuel valve and a 6 terminal toggle switch ,to change from left to right tank and will read the level in the tank that you are switched to... you will need to go to a wrecking yard and get the wiring connector from under a 82-85truck fuel selector valve,you could get the valve also, I just don't trust old electronic things, it has five wires ,cut off enough wire to connect back to, I usually leave atleast a foot of wire,you will need this connector, can't buy it anywhere, you can get the motorized valve at autozone.and the switch at true value or any good hardware store, http://products.pollakaftermarket.co...S_41-revdd.pdf print this out and keep it,

Last edited by El Dorado Jim; 02-28-2017 at 04:49 PM.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
dannyboy

Well I figured out that my 1972 Chevy fuel gauge is figured on 0 to 90 ohms, and have found a couple places that support that.
The original tanks installed in august 1972 had no hole or sending unit, that also is simple to do.
Like I said, my issue is not how to set up a switching valve, I have that, nor is it the electrical side of the switching between tanks to show there respective fuel levels. That's super easy and I use the KISS, keep it simple stupid. No computer or relays need to be used.
I will use the Summit Racing parts as they will word and do what is neded without any hoop laa, LOL