The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Separating pitman arm from center link

Hi Folks,
I am following this procedure from TX Firefighter to replace the seals on my power steering pump.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619634

I have a question please. How does the pitman arm separate from the center link?

I had hoped to remove the pitman arm from the center link during steering gear removal, the way TX Firefighter did in that thread above. But after removing the cotter pin and nut, I could not get it apart. I pulled on it, and tried hitting the end of the bolt with a hammer (straight on so as to avoid messing up the threads, and not too hard) while holding the center link. I tried lifting the steering gear up, to take the gear and arm off and out of the center link. I did not want to stick a screwdriver in the gap between the arm and center link because I believe there is a rubber seal there that I don't want to mess up. I could not persuade it. I changed method and decided to remove the pitman arm from the steering gear.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote