The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
napcoguy

Thoughts on water/methonal injection.

My 84 K30 is equipped with a 454 and sm465, It is currenty my daily driver so I am trying to get the best mpg out of it that I can. I put a edelbrock 600 cfm carb on it and that helped some I think but what is the consensus of adding a water/methonal injction setup? Ive read that it helps promote power and mileage but I cant find any articles online that help me find my answer.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
GRADYS Performance

Re: Thoughts on water/methonal injection.

Water does not burn, it just cools the intake charge and cleans the combustion chamber. Most likely would not help mileage.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
homemade87

Re: Thoughts on water/methonal injection.

Meth is mostly used to control detonation on boosted engines . As grady said it cools the chamber

The first thing most don't look at is your air fuel ratio . You can put a smaller carb on and still have gained nothing ( most all carbs run rich ) . It all depends on air fuel and the tuning of the carb at part throttle and cruise . Get a a/f gauge if you really want to know where your at and do some research on carb tuning . There is a lot to tuning a carb and is rewarding if you take the time to learn . The other alternative is an efi system .

The a/f gauge is a valuable tuning tool even if you go efi. But remember you have a lot of cubic inches and a lot of weight to move around .

If you are running afr of 10.5 there is plenty of room for improvement . But no way to know this without the proper tools .

Just something to think about .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote