The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
pritch

My truck has always ran a little hot.

Usually around 230 degrees or so, even in the winter. I put a 190 thermostat in it when I bought it, but it runs way hotter than that. I thought my after market gauge was off, until I checked it with my friends laser thermometer and it was right on. But lately I've been doing a major heating and cooling project and I think I have it worked out. First off, this is a 250 six, but the PO had a radiator shroud off some other truck sort of cobbled on, and it was broken and missing a chunk out of the bottom. My fan is at the normal-for-sixes couple inches away from the radiator, so it was way inside the shroud. The PO also had this window screen stuff in front of the radiator, I guess to keep the bugs out but I think it keeps the air out, too. I removed it all and now have just the finger guard. All that cooled it down some, but it was still over 200 so I got a 165 thermometer and now it runs at 165! Imagine that! I figured that if it ran 20 degrees over with the 190, it would also with the 165. I guess not. I think I'll run this way until summer comes, though, and then re-evaluate the situation. Maybe I'll try a 180 and see what happens.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
50bomb

Re: My truck has always ran a little hot.

I just made a thread wondering why my inline 250 is running hot. I really havent drivin it only down the street but today I got it registered and insured and went for a test drive. I have the original water temp gauge and thought maybe it was broke but the lil sixer felt really hot. I had changed the water pump before from napa and also freeze plugs, and a 4 core radiator. Today I put in a new thermostat 180. Still running HOT. I thought mabye I should run without the thermostat? Also I forgot to mention I dont have a heater so I am running the hose covering the inlet/oulet and its pinched.

Last edited by 50bomb; 03-23-2013 at 10:45 PM.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote