The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

fellow techs, let's talk scan tools

our old Snap-On brick died and we need to do something this month

our shop is a 4 bay with me and the boss who work on domestic and Asian only. no European. we did a demo of an OTC genesis evo, what a disappointing waste of time that was. the Solus seems OK but we both fear it may be soon outdated with GM going to all MDI next year. we want to demo a Bosch VCI system but our suppliers are all fresh out of demos. Otto Test looks like a decent system, maybe. the Launch X431 looks like a joke. Modis is out of our price range.

what do you have? likes and dislikes?
if a PC based system, what kind of hardware are you running and how does it hold up in a shop environment?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: fellow techs, let's talk scan tools

Your best off financing a Modis. A solus would be ok but it doesnt have the same abilities as the Modis. I never really liked any of the other brand scanners. They always seem to be lacking somewhere. Talk to your snap on guy and check ebay. Im sure you can find a deal on either the Solus or the Modis
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
treveiger

Interested
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the boss does not finance anything, he pays cash up front.

we need to keep it reasonable though so we can also get a new hoist for the stall in front of my toolbox (mowhawk system 1a, hehehe)
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
cableguy0

Theres a bunch of Modis scanners on ebay for less than 4 grand. Looks like you can pick up a Solus for less than 2 grand. None of em are cheap and its parts of the cost of doing business.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
bighaas79

We have a modis at work and you can do soooo much with it. The built in lab scope and the add on capabilities are great. However snap-on is already selling a couple other models that are the bigger, better, faster, version of the modis, and it wouldn't surprise me if they quit supporting the modis in the next few years in favor of the newer versions. You know most snap-on guys are gonna wanna sell you a new machine, but most take used machines in on trade so I would press him really hard on a good used modis. Usually if you make it known if you can't find anything in your price range you will go elsewhere they always manage to find what you are looking for.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
hayhauler71

The shop I work for has 3 techs plus me. We own a snap on Modis, a tech 2 for gm and Saturn, a IDS factory scan tool for Fords and Mazda and a Vertronics with factory older Honda. The Modis does a lot but a factory tool makes your job a lot easier. I would push for a Modis has lots of info fore the money. good luck
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
BurnoutNova

+1 for the Modis. I've used the OTC Genesis, Tech2, an old brick, and some cheap scan tools, and for GM and other domestics the Modis is great.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

well, the MODIS is out. we are demo-ing a Verus for 2 weeks. what a cool tool!!!!! kind of heavy to hold in hand but it's LOADED. 4 channel lab scope/vantage, wifi for alldata, touch screen which is super fast for me to navigate around and it will graph 4 pids at once.
I still want to demo the Bosch VCI, maybe next week
Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
bighaas79

The verus is one of the newer versions out that i was talking about. Ya its a sweet machine. Verdict is the other one with the wireless connector for the aldl connector, and the wireless module for the lab scope. all touch screen.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Manly IA? wow, pretty close to me

we got a Ottotest today as a demo. granted it doesn't have the 4 channel but it is wireless. it seems quite easy to navigate and weighs less than the verus. a lot less. and it costs less to purchase as well as update. I can quickly do a full scan for codes on the whole car. (2000 Deville has 20 modules) it lets you custom build your data stream and you can also interpose 4 PIDs on a graph while also allowing you to very easily record and playback. you can then move 2 cursors around on that to compare readings
can you tell I like the Ottotest?
boss and I were talking about it. since it doesn't have a lab scope we may end up getting the Pico scope and a separate netbook and still have a lower cost than the Verus.

bad idea?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

I second the Ottotest scan tool also. I purchased mine about a year ago and have not had any problems with it and the tech support 'actually' listens to you with suggestions that you make for them. I have used it to diagnose many a car and also have flashed numerous PCM's and other modules with it also. I have several scan tools in my shop, I have the old red brick (old guy in the shop will only use that), a Solus Pro and the Ottotest setup. I use the Solus the most, as it is easy to hook up and go for the easy jobs. I use the Ottotest when I 'really' have to dig in and diagnose a car, I really like the scanning and graphing portion of it. The only thing that stinks about the laptop/PC based system is the dang computer battery seems to go dead when you are in the middle of something, or when you grab it the battery is almost dead. A good power inverter should take care of that problem though!
Now here is my opinion........ don't waste the money on the scan tools with the built in lab scopes. Go to Autonerdz and buy a dedicated Pico scope if you REALLY want a scope. the ones in the scan tools are so buffered, you can miss small glitches and such that you may REALLY need to see. Also, you won't use a scope nearly as much as you think you will, trust me..... been there done that!!! I have a decent scope and dig it out all of 1 to 2 times a year, if that....just gathers dust more than anything!!!

Hope this helps!!
Mike
Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

isn't the solus pro pretty much the new version of the red brick?

autonerdz? I'll check them out.

I agree with what you say about a scope collecting dust. but when you need it, you really need it. especially since the old Vantage is about to die and resolution is sub-par
Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
isn't the solus pro pretty much the new version of the red brick?

autonerdz? I'll check them out.

I agree with what you say about a scope collecting dust. but when you need it, you really need it. especially since the old Vantage is about to die and resolution is sub-par
Yep, Solus Pro is newer version of the old red brick. Does all the same stuff the Modis did without the scope and voltmeter built in.
I stumbled across the autonerdz website years ago, some really passionate people over there, and the prices on the scopes ain't bad, considering what they gove you to go along with it!!!
I have a Vantage also, mine has dies several times and you ain't kiddin about subpar resolution. They were nice when there was nothing else, but today there are so many other better tools avaliable!!!

Mike