The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

TV gives an "unsafe" impression of our hobby

I'd thought I'd take a little time and make my 15,000 post worthy of such a milestone and "air out" my thoughts on things that SHOULD be shown on car shows.

My biggest pet peeve is paint safety. Kevin Tetz (sp?) is the ONLY guy on powerblock that even remotely mentions paint safety, and he's very serious about it. I'm appreciative of what he does.

However, if you watch any other shows on powerblock it's spray away. I haven't seen him on in a while, but Rick on muscle car is almost never wearing a mask. I know he's in a down draft booth, but there's no way it's still safe to not wear one. You should even wear it while mixing. This gives us weekend backyard guys the idea that you don't need any of that crap to spray your truck or car.

I made all the same mistakes when I was younger. Really, you shouldn't even use spray paint without one. I now have a full fresh air system from hobbyair. I even use it for painting rooms in my house now.

In our monkee see monkey doo society thousands of guys tune in to these shows every week and see the lack of safety equipment and don't think they need to use it.

Body work is another area. I've seen bondo and primer being sanded on episode after epside with NO type of mask at all. People on DIY and HGTV use more safety equipment than these guys.

Long story short, please use proper safety equipment when working on these old hulks. You only get one set of lungs.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 08-24-2012 at 01:29 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
cayoterun

Re: TV gives an "unsafe" impression of our hobby

X10----Good post and reminders!
Thanks,
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
rambler
MOVE OVER

then you got those shows on Speed like car warriors.. knocking out a rebuild in 3 days? why cant they do that all the time?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

but my Dad (God rest his soul) was a body man for his whole life. he never used any protective gear except when he started spraying Imron. he never had any problems <insert sarcasm>

don't forget to wear ear and eye protection. you only get one set of those as well
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

First, thanks for all your contribution to the board! 15K posts!!!

Second, I agree they should be more responsible in what they show....I am getting ready to upgrade my mask since I'm working on my truck more. I forgot one the other day while doing grinding and have been blowing my nose with black coming out for a couple days now....that can't be good for my lungs so I won't be making that mistake again....

Also, always showing guys welding ... just looking away instead of taking the 2 seconds to grab the welding helmet off the shelf and put it on....
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I'd thought I'd take a little time and make my 15,000 post worthy of such a milestone and "air out" my thoughts on things that SHOULD be shown on car shows.

My biggest pet peeve is paint safety. Kevin Tetz (sp?) is the ONLY guy on powerblock that even remotely mentions paint safety, and he's very serious about it. I'm appreciative of what he does.

However, if you watch any other shows on powerblock it's spray away. I haven't seen him on in a while, but Rick on muscle car is almost never wearing a mask. I know he's in a down draft booth, but there's no way it's still safe to not wear one. You should even wear it while mixing. This gives us weekend backyard guys the idea that you don't need any of that crap to spray your truck or car.

I made all the same mistakes when I was younger. Really, you shouldn't even use spray paint without one. I now have a full fresh air system from hobbair. I even use it for painting rooms in my house now.

In our monkee see monkey doo society thousands of guys tune in to these shows every week and see the lack of safety equipment and don't think they need to use it.

Body work is another area. I've seen bondo and primer being sanded on episode after epside with NO type of mask at all. People on DIY and HGTV use more safety equipment than these guys.

Long story short, please use proper safety equipment when working on these old hulks. You only get one set of lungs.
Very good point.
I wear a respirator everyday due to the fact that I work in Plutonium processing facility (no longer operable )
Anyway inhalation of radionuclides is not a good thing. depending on exposure levels age of the person exposed etc. on may or may not develop a type of Cancer. This is NOT the case with most chemicals. Since we have most chemicals that have ever been manufactuered here, and people that have been exposed to both radiological inhalations and chemicals, it is almost certain that you will have negative health effects from a signifigant lung exposure to chemicals. With all the crap in modern paint. WOW.
I know guys with chemical exposures that are on permanant disability. some with 50% lung capacity.
you are right. you only get set of lungs.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
I know guys with chemical exposures that are on permanant disability. some with 50% lung capacity.
you are right. you only get set of lungs.
Got my second set in 1998. Only cost $245,000 at the time and 3 times that since then to keep them. $5 mask seems like a real bargain.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Excellent thread! I think many folks think only of burns & eye damage
when working around cars but forget anything that doesn’t cause immediate pain.

Congrats Dave on the lungs; sounds like you are very lucky to still be with us!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
ryanroo

my wife always asks why i watch saturday morning car shows. all i do is yell at the tv about how stupid they all are. i am a professional fabricator and have also worked in the custom automotive fab world (4x4 and rock buggies). i am constantly bagging on the cheesball stuff they do. i really like when ian gives welding lessons on the 4x4 show. what a dumbass
Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
shok

I'm not a professional in any car related field but I used to do a lot of the same complaining at first, now I just take the shows for what they are.
Cheeseball stuff aside I'm glad these shows exist, I remember years ago you couldn't find any car shows other than maybe motorweek on PBS.
Lou Santiago from Car Fix and formally Musclecar seems to be a pretty nice guy judging from the little talking back and forth we've done on another forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
my wife always asks why i watch saturday morning car shows. all i do is yell at the tv about how stupid they all are. i am a professional fabricator and have also worked in the custom automotive fab world (4x4 and rock buggies). i am constantly bagging on the cheesball stuff they do. i really like when ian gives welding lessons on the 4x4 show. what a dumbass
Ryan

he's not say ZTfab, but he's not the worst.. lol I've seen some horrible **** that people have actually paid for..
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok View Post
I'm not a professional in any car related field but I used to do a lot of the same complaining at first, now I just take the shows for what they are.
Cheeseball stuff aside I'm glad these shows exist, I remember years ago you couldn't find any car shows other than maybe motorweek on PBS.
Lou Santiago from Car Fix and formally Musclecar seems to be a pretty nice guy judging from the little talking back and forth we've done on another forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
i am glad they are there too. i still watch them and i like the exposure to new tech that they give. but sometimes the build plans are ridiculous and the execution is silly. i really liked Lou. he was one of the most non-scripted feeling hosts they had. and he knew his stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
he's not say ZTfab, but he's not the worst.. lol I've seen some horrible **** that people have actually paid for..
i agree completely. there are some real hacks out there that have convinced people that they know what is going on. my problem with the saturday morning shows is how many people take the advice they give as gospel. especially the welding stuff. i think it is great to have a show that helps less experienced people learn to do things themselves, i would just rather the instructors are a little more qualified to give the advice and a little less "tv Ready"

ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I agree with the lack of common sense in TV-land although, I must admit, I tend to focus
more on how they can stay so clean and don't muss up their manicures!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
faribran

67ChevyRedneck, this info cant be stressed enuff. thank you.
i used to do my share of spraying...
i have supplied air, and have decided its not worth the exposure... since the nose/mouth is not the only way the chemicals enter our body..
Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
no moa

I can't paint for crap, and the only stuff i paint is that SEM stuff on frames and bodys, i even now i at least put on one of the cotton masks or something to give me some protection.
Very good points to bring up, thank you!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I wrote for an automotive magazine for a short period, and they also (from the standpoint of a media outlet) pretty much NEVER mention safety. Read through most pictorials and very few mention things like "first putting on a mask" or "making sure you don't but combustibles in a garbage can in a hot area " The issue to me is simply SHOWING it...you don't even have to go into detail...just put on the mask and paint, people will ASSUME wearing a mask is normal and just do it...like what happened with motorcylce helmets years back, it became more fashionable and logical to rock a helmet.

The other side of this; the guys at PowerBlock spray largely water based paint systems now, and Rick Bacon has specifically mentioned the difference in booth and mask requirements when using them.

Since I got cancer already, from no outside source...I'm biased, as far as I'm concerned I 've already taken my bullet. (I also have a bad habit of welding in shorts and flip flops so go figure)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote