The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #1
DavidM

Looking for A OEM fleet side TailGate with Chevy lettering

subject says it all looking for A Oem fleet side tail gate with Chev. lettering.

I recently ordered a after market smooth fleetside one and when it got to my house it was not what i was expecting.... i could bend it by hand it was so cheap.....

I am hoping to get my truck into the paint shop in november on the 10 and trying to buy a good tail gate as soon as possible...

This is the last peice I need any one who knows a good place to get one thats high quality... please leave a message

any help would be greatly apreciated......

David M
Proud owner of a
67 C10
short bed
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
VTKidder

Occasionally you can find a VERY decent gate on ebay that was taken off when new for a utility bed or something. Where did you get the gate that was rubbish? If it were LMC or JCWhitney, I'd believe it. Go to a couple of our vendors here (GMCPauls, MotherTruckers, Classic Heartbeat, etc.) and see what they have to offer. I suppose if worst came to worst, you can find a decent one used, then just scuff and spray it.

Sorry though; I've got 3 lettered gates; one is perfectly straight but rusty, one is rust free but dented on top like a tree fell on it, and the other is just a big 'ol turd.
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 AM   #3
VTKidder

Oh....welcome to the board too....this place rocks
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

I've got one in So Cal straight no bow has a couple of dents and scratches . 125 Can't ship .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
DavidM

How do the venders here seem I have heard lmc has cheap sheetmetal parts of questionable quality....
I just want one thats not paper thin and if I ever go to load my truck up I could stand on it with out bending it the one I got was from Fastlane Auto parts in Modesto Ca.

It was so thin I could bend it by hand and the edges of it where ruff as all get out that being the least of the problems seeing as one side was miss made where the bolts go in to hold the hand latch was off by about 2 inchs the bottom of the 3 bolts that is....
I will take a look at the venders on here andsee ifi can come up with something if not Im going ot try for a used one.....
got my appoint ment to get the truck in for paint on the 10th. of Nov. so need to get one asap....

If any one has a good used one thats clean and rdy for paint post how much much you want and see if we can work out a deal....
thanks for the replys

Sincerely ,

David M
Old 10-21-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
palallin

I have used/am using some LMC sheetmetal. The parts appear to be fairly heavy gauge; there have been no problems so far. They are still being fitted, so some issues may simply be waiting for me to find them, but the cab to which they are being fitted is far from perfect, and I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the problem is in the replacements.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

I bought an aftermarket smooth tailgate from Frank (PICKMUP) and I am extremely happy with it. It doesnt' have the CHEVROLET stamped in it, but I covered that area with a tailgate band anyways. It is strong and looks great! Not the best pic, but a picture of when we did herculiner on the inside.
Attached Images

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #8
busterwivell

The Truck Shop in Orange, CA had some at the Pomona Swap meet Sunday that looked to be made form as thick a metal as original. The were $225.00 (I think). You could give them a call and ask about them.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:18 PM   #9
DavidM

Smile

I was at the Swapmeet In Turlock Ca.

on this last sunday hoping they would be there and now i know where they where.....

I think im gonna order one from GMC Pauls....

$299.00 + shiping 42.50

for good as orig...

what do you all think ?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

I'VE NEVER EVER SEEN ANY AFTERMARKET SHEETMETAL OF ANY KIND THAT WAS EVEN CLOSE TO BEING AS GOOD AS ORIGINAL EQUIPTMENT. MABY IT EXISTS, & NEITHER I, OR ANYONE THAT I KNOW HAS SEEN IT.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote