The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
slikside

Intake Manifold Bolt Removal??

I have a '72 C-10 350 with 250k + miles on it. The engine is all stock/original...never been rebuilt or even apart to my knowledge.

When I replace my water pump in the next couple weeks, I would also like to remove the smog pump and the bracket to which it is mounted. This bracket is mounted to the block in 3 places: water pump bolt, and two bolts on the intake manifold.

Here's my question: Is it reasonable for me to think that if I loosen ALL intake manifold bolts in the reverse order from torque pattern (each a little at a time), remove the smog pump bracket, then retorque all bolts in sequence, that no harm would be done? I want the smog bracket gone, but not at the expence of having to actually pull the intake manifold to clean and reseal etc, etc...

And how about those two manifold bolts, do you think they are longer than the others and would bottom out before tightening with the bracket removed?

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions...would you or would you not?
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Alex Hayley

Re: Intake Manifold Bolt Removal??

Don't worry about the order of the intake bolts. The order really only applies to when first installing the intake. Just worry about having the correct torque AND using more sealant on the bolts to avoid leaks. If you take the bolts and and compare the depth of the bolt hole to the length of the bolt, it should be apparent if the bolt will be too long.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Lee H

Only remove the one you need to and retrouque to about 35F#s.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
slikside

OK guys, thanks for the input.

On that sealer, could I just use the same rtv I'm planning for the water pump replacement? or is there a different one I should consider? And I imagine the sealer is more important at the head and top of the bolt not at the threads right?
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
ubtripn

Be careful taking them out though, one of mine snapped. Hit em first with some kind of penetrator and then let sit then shock the top lightly with a hammer. I just went for the removal without doing any of that, snapped one off and then instant full intake manifold job.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote