The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
SRH916
1975 C-10 Silverado LWB

Door Alignment "Issues"

I recently replaced the door bolts, and bushings on my truck and now for whatever reason (not sure if it was like this before, since I havent had the truck for more than a few months.) the door is sitting "back" way to far. There is almost no clearance for the door jamb... Not sure how to go about adjusting this. I've taken the door off a good amount of times now, and I just want some tips, or oppinions, or even "attack plans" for how to go at this.

Thanks in advance,

Jared
- 4 Bolt 350 "Brand new" 1200mi
- THM-375 "Brand new w/trans cooler" 5000mi

1995 Ford Lightning
- Bone Stock
- 351W
- Vortech??
SRH916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Pushrod226

Re: Door Alignment "Issues"

Personally I like removing the fender to adjust door alignment. This gives the ability to adjust the door from all aspects quickly.

Imagine adjusting with the fender on. You would have to open the door and make guestimations as to where you want the door to be while workin in a confined area of the door jam. Watch out for the paint and fender when you close that door. Then having to adjust the fender as well to match up to the door.

Removing the fender allows you to make adjustments in an area that isn't nearly as confining. Instead of using a wrench you can use a ratchet. Then install and align the fender. To round out all of this work you would also have to align the hood. It sounds like more work because it is but the results are personally gratifying.

Have fun and good luck however you choose to do it.
Pushrod226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod226 View Post
Personally I like removing the fender to adjust door alignment. This gives the ability to adjust the door from all aspects quickly.

Imagine adjusting with the fender on. You would have to open the door and make guestimations as to where you want the door to be while workin in a confined area of the door jam. Watch out for the paint and fender when you close that door. Then having to adjust the fender as well to match up to the door.

Removing the fender allows you to make adjustments in an area that isn't nearly as confining. Instead of using a wrench you can use a ratchet. Then install and align the fender. To round out all of this work you would also have to align the hood. It sounds like more work because it is but the results are personally gratifying.

Have fun and good luck however you choose to do it.
How bad is it to remove the fender?
87Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Not bad, remove hood, unclip HL wiring, remove HL trim, remove fender. I would mark hood hinge location on bottom of hood and count/pay attention to fender shims when removing components...will make assembly and alingment much easier.

I agree with pushrod. Take the fender off and adjust away. Sounds like the door hinges need to slide forward on the cab

Last edited by bigblock73; 04-02-2008 at 02:05 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote