The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
J kippin

Engine Fans

Okay so here is a question that someone may be able to help with.
I recently got done doing a BBC swap in my 71 Super. I am using a 86 style long pump and bracket setup. The problem I encountered was I am unable to fit the stock BBC fan in because it is hitting the radiator.
Not wanting to go with an electric fan set up I chose to run a 19" flex fan. Now all the talk about the blades falling off has me worried and yes the fan is loud as h%ll.
The fan if it matters is rated for 8000 rpm and the motor stops making power well before that rev limiter is set at 6500.
The actual question is do the clutch fans come in different lengths? I don't have a lot of room.
I really don't want the electric fan option because I like the stock appearing look of my aluminum headed 496 (402 to all that ask)
Thanks in advance
John
J kippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Agent915

Re: Engine Fans

I'm running a BBC in mine as well. (Its still in the "scattered all over creation" mode of the build process.) I have a set of twin LS fans I had intended to run with a 4-core radiator. I decided that I would go back with a clutch fan. Mainly for the simplicity. I have the short pump set-up. Being as the pumps are fairly cheap, why not just swap to the short and throw on a clutch fan?

Danny
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
J kippin

Re: Engine Fans

I would like to do that but..... The price of the brackets for the short pump right now is not in my budget..... I would need the alternator, p.s. and a/c bracket sets plus all of the pulleys associated for the swap.
I don't mind the serpentine set up I have and was even able to fit the OEM 71 BBC fan shroud.
I was just hoping on finding a short clutch fan set up that may work and dump the flex fan before I have shrapnel everywhere.
J kippin is offline   Reply With Quote