The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2002, 12:37 AM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i hate the a/c business

have called around the san antonio area, and i have been quoted 600-750 for a compleat compressor job. is this really a justified amount? or are these people just taking advantage?

the way i figure it comes out to maybe 300 tops in parts. wtf is the rest for? labor? 4 or 5 hrs labor is what they all say? seams a bit much, but maybe it does take this long i dont know.

i dont mind people making a living, but this really seems beyond fair to me. its no wonder people are willing to try the cheap crap, and the self recharge kits.

other thing that seems odd to me, is if i go to the shop 1 pound low in my 4 pound system. they take all my freon, then charge me for 4 full pounds at full rate. wtf? sure, they have to pay for the machine to claime and recycle the stuff. then why not sell that stuff at a discount, its mine for $@#$@ sake.

it would make more sence for my to just vent the freon in the air, repalce all the parts myself, or at least the compressor, then take it to the shop and have then evac, and fill it. (im sure there is osmething im missing?) im not the type to do that, but i sure want to out of spite. if im paying for all 4 dam pounds, i want them to come up with it.

i have also been told that you dont want to mix freon. like the freez and the other stuff. becasue the a.c places charge more to reclaime it. (its cuz they cant resell it) no wonder people just vent the stuff.

this is a 72 chevy truck for godsake, not a freakin high $ sprots car. wtf is up with these people.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote