The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
oatzy

putting 01 seats in a 71?

Hey guys I am thinking of putting some newer seats in my truck. I was thinking of a 99 on up bench seat so I would have a center console and shoulder belts. Or 99 on up bucket seats with a subwoofer mounted between the seats with a center console added on top. Anyone done this? Any ideas or reasons not to? My truck has a bench seat so I would have to make up some new mounts in the cab to do this. And how do i put the pictures in here
oatzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
BubbaGreen

Re: putting 01 seats in a 71?

If the seats include the integrated seatbelts, you need to fully understand all the wiring required to make them work....otherwise, in the event of an impact, they will not restrain you what so ever.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
oatzy

OOOh I thought they were like regular 80's seatbelts that would lock when pulled to hard.
oatzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGreen
If the seats include the integrated seatbelts, you need to fully understand all the wiring required to make them work....otherwise, in the event of an impact, they will not restrain you what so ever.
I just bought a pair with intergrated seat belts. Is it just a power supply issue or something more detailed?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
BubbaGreen

I dont know when the switch was made, but the newer seats are tied into the airbag/computer system. You may find a pretty big wiring harness under your new seat, (dont let it scare you) but you also need to look for another box that detects impact. I dont know the official name, but I call it a pendulum box. If its actually part of the seat, you only really need to connect about 3 to 4 wires. GROUND and BATT and possibly another ground and an IGN. Easy way to check....with the seats sitting near level (like they would be installed) pull on the belts....if they are in a locked state, then you definetly need to wire them up. If they pull and retract, tip the seat apprx 30 to 45 deg, if they are manual, they should lock when tipped. If they require wiring, get the schematics for that year and hook them up right the first time, its dangerous to experiment with this circuit as you can damage the electronics and cause the seat belts to fail.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Sound like I have some research to do. Thanks for the information. Last thing I need is for my family to go flying through the front window.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote