The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

Read almost everything still have questions

I know it is a Novella but if you could please read it I need some more help Thank you.
Ok I have been reading the posts here for about 4 days now since I found it and saw the wealth of knowledge that is freely given out here. It took a long time to surf through the all those pages since there isn't a search function now. It is nice to see a site dedicated to my favorite trucks here is what I have and what I need. I have a 1971 C20 with coil springs on all four corners and disk brakes upfront. I have it down to the frame at this point and I figure I am building it back up might as well make it like I want it the first time. So I have decided that a AirBag setup will be my best bet for being able to have the adjusability to haul a trailer but bring it down when I want I am not looking to lay frame or rockers just get it much lower then the stock ride hieght I really like how Primered thunders truck looks but I will be putting drop spindels in so I can run a little more air and make the alignment angles a little better as you guys here have recommended in the past on the board.
Now here are some questions for all you out there that are a lot smarter then me I know there will be some challenges with the 3/4 since I want to keep it 3/4 ton. I need to know since I can't find a adjustable panhard bar that says it is for a 3/4 ton will a 1/2 ton work. Also I have talked to the guys at GMC Pauls today but I was left a little confused I have read here on numerous times that the only drop spindels out there for 3/4 ton are the ones that need the ball joints and outer tie rods from a 73 to what ever year. Is this not the case with the ones from GMC Pauls. I also need to know is there any clearance issue with SS Rs 72 on the front of rear of these trucks I know that I will need to shave off the bump stops on the lower control arms but other then that is there anything I need to know. I have a line on a ride po air managment kit from Innovative air suspension that I will be using for my tank and compressor but my question is if I plumb this system will I need a second compressor and tank. Now I don't plan on jumping of bouncing this truck. so will a single 3 gallon and the compressor that comes with the kit do the job? (kti is ARC4000E) Please let me know if I am way off base with this and if I am please point me in the right direction thank you all in advance.
AKChevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
DTerry
'70 GMC C-25 LWB

Welcome. I also have a 3/4 ton but mine a 70. As for the rear I know nothing but up front I have 3/4 ton drop spindles from gmc pauls and you do need the 73-87 tie rod end ends and balljoints uppers and lowers I dont know if your brakes will work but i do know 73-87 will, as far as I know these spindle will keep the 3/4 ton. Hope this helps.
350, vortec 305 heads. 10:1 comp, t5 trans. Street terrrorizer.
1988 Monte Carlo (Super Stock ashpalt race car)
My Truck
DTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

I will have to get with GMC Pauls again becuase he was telling me that I woudn't need anything else maybe something is diffrent on the 71-72 models. Thank you for the information. The biggest thing is keeping th 3/4 ton I have plans on purchasing a enclosed trailer to haul the wife's 69 chevelle SS so I need some thing that will pull it plus really don't want to deal with swapping out my rear and front end to go to 1/2 ton.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
69 longhorn

On the 3/4 ton trucks, the spindles & ball joints/ tierods are the same from 71-87......the 1/2 ton trucks do have 71/72 by themselves, then 73-87 crazyL
Old 06-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

Thank you for the information CrazyL Now all I need to know are the adjustable panhard bars for the 1/2 tons going to work on my 3/4 ton in the stock location. I think they look the same but would like to hear from the experts Again thank you now I can go order my drop spindels but still looking for some advice on the bags of choice and clearance issues.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

still need info on panhard bar anyone out there know?
Getting face lift and heart transplant .30 402 BB /TH400 and GV
Wifes car
1969 Chevelle SS 396 325hp/TH400
Factroy A/C Automatic w/ Floor shift console.
restored.