The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
jomatt20

Lmc dual exhaust kit(heartthrob)

Hey everyone ordered my kit a couple weeks ago and I received everything but the couplers to connect the tubing and mufflers together. The tubing is not flared except for the tailpipe is flared to connect to the muffler, but it's the same size as the outlet on the muffler. Was just curious if I'm missing parts or do I need to buy more.
jomatt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:06 AM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: Lmc dual exhaust kit(heartthrob)

I am using this kit on my 72. IIRC, all pieces are lfared on one end in order to slip it together. You might eant to give heart throb and or lmc a call. (Lmc will probably be clueless.)

On a side note, none of mine wanted to fit when i first tried. I realized that all of the pieces labelled "RH" were actually "LH" and vice versa. Holefully they straightened that snafu out.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
vettedrvr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomatt20 View Post
Hey everyone ordered my kit a couple weeks ago and I received everything but the couplers to connect the tubing and mufflers together. The tubing is not flared except for the tailpipe is flared to connect to the muffler, but it's the same size as the outlet on the muffler. Was just curious if I'm missing parts or do I need to buy more.
Good luck with that. Lots More Crap (LMC) has the worst customer service in the aftermarket and you just got an exhaust that had been sold to someone else, returned because it was NFG and they sent that one out to you in the hope that you would take being cheated so they wouldn't lose ten bucks!
vettedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

I bought one of their kits a few years ago. The pipes & flanges would not fit the manifolds. I took it back. I recently bought a carpet for my S10. It fits horribly.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
54blackhornet

Some things need to be done by pro's ! Exhaust work is one ! Beats crawling around and swearing and throwing s$@t !
Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Blue GMC

Same story here mine did not even come close to fitting and would not work for the last 3ft of the exaust run. Had to get creative and create the last part on my own
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
5567Cruiser

Same for me, all fit except the very end of tailpipes, had to do some minor rebending with a torch.
55 CHEV BEL AIR 2DR SEDAN
67 BUICK GS400 CONVERT
5567Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
jomatt20

Called LMC today was told to send pictures of the pipes not having flared ends. Then they would send the pictures to quality-control and see what happens .
Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
jomatt20

These people at lmc are starting to tick me off. I was asked to send pictures to them, sent them Tuesday morning and I received an email saying that they received the pics and where going to let me know something in 3-5 days. Figured I'd call today and ask for an update. When I called the lady asked for all my info and when I told her the situation, o I'm sorry sir let me transfer you. After having to explain myself again the lady tell me" ok your pictures have uploaded and I'm gunna go ahead and email them to quality control! Why did I buy this crap?! I think I'm going to bring them to be flared...
Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #10
Aruba1

I always wondered why installing muffler-in-a-box muffler? I rather take mine to a muffler shop, the nearest/cheapest is 15 minutes away and it takes them a couple of hours to install for a couple of hundred dollars. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

The heart throb kit i bought from lmc was around $200. It is mandrel bent aluminized 2-1/2" pipe. I could not find anyone who would do mandrel bent steel. Only stainless steel, over $1k.
Muffler shop could pnly do crush bent pipe. As mentioned above i didnt have any issue other than mislabelled pipes.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
jomatt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
The heart throb kit i bought from lmc was around $200. It is mandrel bent aluminized 2-1/2" pipe. I could not find anyone who would do mandrel bent steel. Only stainless steel, over $1k.
Muffler shop could pnly do crush bent pipe. As mentioned above i didnt have any issue other than mislabelled pipes.
Any where I went it was 600 plus to run my exhaust
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
Boog
laying low

Just as an FYI, I bought the Hooker Competition dual kit from Summit and am pleased how it went together. It is 2 1/4 mandrel bent aluminized steel with all the hardware.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
Acorn

It's been a while but If I recall, the kit I bought only had two flailed pieces. (One per side) the only flailed piece was the section of pipe that has the curved section that goes around the trailing arms. The other pieces should slide into the mufflers.
I think I also had a problem with the left and right side beefing labeled wrong.
Mine is not welded up yet so I could take a pic for you if needed.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
jomatt20

Pics would help, thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #16
Acorn

Found the pic. Now let's see if I remember how to post it....
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
Acorn

In this pic my 'down pipe' is installed but this is what the rest of it looks like. The only flailed piece is the one that slides over the 'down pipe'
Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #18
jomatt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
In this pic my 'down pipe' is installed but this is what the rest of it looks like. The only flailed piece is the one that slides over the 'down pipe'

My kit is the true dual kit, but you are correct my pipes slip into one another. When your pipes come from under the crossmember for the driveshaft, do the pipes go in between the trailing arms or on the outsides of th trailing arms?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #19
FirstOwner69

I've been watching this thread with interest since I used this kit (not purchased from LMC though) on my 69 3/4 ton. The kit is designed to fit with the mufflers mounted in the "on edge" orientation shown in the first picture below as opposed to "flat". If I recall correctly, the original single exhaust system also had the muffler this way and every replacement single pipe system installed over the years was also mounted like this. I did add exhaust hangers from the rear of the mufflers to the cross member directly above.

I assume you probably have a 1/2 ton. If so, the following probably relevant...

I did, however, have a problem with the right tailpipe. When I ordered my system, there was a note on the website saying it wasn't designed to work with a Custom Camper. My 3/4 ton truck had all the equipment to qualify for a Custom Camper nameplate, but it wasn't ordered. I believe what the website should have said was that it wasn't designed to work with a Eaton axle. Heartthrob custom bent a tailpipe for me (no charge) based on the second picture with a curvature like the steel rod taped to the pipe.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #20
Acorn

Mine is a dual kit also. I only had a pic of one side to show you.
I installed mine just like firstowner69 did. With the offset inlet and outlet the only way I could get them to fit was to install them 'on edge' and my muffler outlet on top. I really don't like installing a muffler that way because if it sits awhile it tends to gather moisture and rust from the inside. I once took my muffler off and I poured out about a half quart of rusty water! I just haven't had time or money to get some different mufflers and play around with it some more.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #21
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
Mine is a dual kit also. I only had a pic of one side to show you.
I installed mine just like firstowner69 did. With the offset inlet and outlet the only way I could get them to fit was to install them 'on edge' and my muffler outlet on top. I really don't like installing a muffler that way because if it sits awhile it tends to gather moisture and rust from the inside. I once took my muffler off and I poured out about a half quart of rusty water! I just haven't had time or money to get some different mufflers and play around with it some more.
It actually should not accumulate more water from condensation. However, the water may not evaporate as fast since it is concentrated/pooled in a smaller area. My original muffler did have a drain hole (about 1/8") at the low point in the front of the muffler. I had a couple new systems installed over the years and always drilled a similar hole.

Jim
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #22
mrein3

I purchased the dual kit for factory exhaust manifolds before I moved to my current house in 2003 (I remember that because I remember laying down in the old driveway doing the job.)
EVERYTHING fit perfect. I wouldn't blame LMC for this one. I know on this forum it is always pick on LMC first but I'm pretty sure all the heartthrob kits are simply drop shipped from the heartthrob factory here in MN to you.

If you have issues, you may want to bypass LMC and call heartthrob?

Oh and my kit was for a 4x4. I know it is different than the 2wd models.

Oh and I agree with 54blackhornet - unless you have a 4x4. I didn't have to jack it up. With the factory suspension at the factory height I simply rolled under there, bolted the kit together, and away I went.

If I remember correctly the dual kit didn't have the hanger for the side opposite the factory, single exhaust hanger. Big block trucks came with duals and have two hangers. Since the general never made a big block 4x4 until after 1972, one could argue the kit should have had a hanger in it for the missing side. I quickly got over that minor beef, ran to NAPA to buy a generic hanger to attach that side to the frame, and haven't looked back for over 10 years.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #23
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
....If you have issues, you may want to bypass LMC and call heartthrob?....
I agree 100%! As I noted in post 19, that's what I did. They bent over backwards to help. I talked to Mike Forbes. Here's their website link with contact info.
http://heartthrobexhaust.com/
Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #24
MikeB

Very helpful guy at Heartthrob: Mike Forbes [mike@heartthrobexhaust.com]
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #25
jomatt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Very helpful guy at Heartthrob: Mike Forbes [mike@heartthrobexhaust.com]
Just emailed him!