The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Some_Guy

Easy Latch Kit?

How are the Altman Easy Latch kits? Worth the $350?

My doors aren't lined up 100% and thats the main reason It takes 3 tries to get the drivers door closed. Think this would help any?
Some_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Easy Latch Kit?

I bought the kit for my '55.2 but my lazy ass hasn't installed it yet.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
MIKEs50Chevy

I would think your doors would need to be in pretty good alignment for them to work okay.
MIKEs50Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

If your doors are not lined up no latch will work correctly but these are far better latches than the originals and fairly easy to install.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Speedbumpauto

I put them on my 55.2 and the install is simple and straight forward and they work. my doors close like a new car. IMO, thier pre engineering is worth the money but beware, you lose the forward handle lock function. If you want locking doors you'll have to jump through some hoops. A couple of us have fought through it and detailed it on here. It's a pain.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

SBA - Yeah but you can still lock them with the key from outside, correct?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
rollinrooster

Just finished installing a set in my '49 and love them!! alot better than the stock latches and easy to install also. Have to agree with everyone also that you need to have your doors lined up pretty close to begin with for them to work properly.
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Speedbumpauto

Yea, Dan you can still lock with the key and I ordered keys for both sides from Brothers but I still wanted the security of being able to lock the doors from the inside and it turned into somewhat of a hassle. Those guys would be great if they engineered a locking system for their latch.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
Yea, Dan you can still lock with the key and I ordered keys for both sides from Brothers but I still wanted the security of being able to lock the doors from the inside and it turned into somewhat of a hassle. Those guys would be great if they engineered a locking system for their latch.
Now I've got to do a search to find the threads with the mods you guys did to make them work with the inside handle. DOH! Wh must EVERYTHING on the truck lead to yet another thing to do? Kinda kidding but it sometimes is a frustration.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Some_Guy

Thanks for all the feedback. The doors close ok, but the latch doesn't always catch leaving the door half latched. I always have to give it a shove to see if it pops open. Sounds like I should invest some time into the hinges and alignment before the latches.

Anyway adding this to the wish list then.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
_Ogre

you'd be surprised at what new hinges and stock latches will do for a set of doors.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
you'd be surprised at what new hinges and stock latches will do for a set of doors.
My thoughts exactly. I rebuilt my hinges and installed new stock latches and latch plates and they work fine, and lock from the inside.
Lots of folks here like the EZ latch setups but I don't feel the need to spend the $350 for them.

EDit: I'm speaking from my experience with my 57 truck. I'm not familiar with ADs.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
My thoughts exactly. I rebuilt my hinges and installed new stock latches and latch plates and they work fine, and lock from the inside.
Lots of folks here like the EZ latch setups but I don't feel the need to spend the $350 for them.

EDit: I'm speaking from my experience with my 57 truck. I'm not familiar with ADs.
Russ, I get where you're coming from and initially didn't think I should spend the $350 either. But after considering all the stories I had, and others had about vehicles of this era and doors pop popping open I decided I'd rather spend the money than regret my pet (or God forbid a relative or friend) being injured or killed for not having spent it.

Each has to make their own decision of course but I spent it so I wouldn't have regrets or tragedy coming out of my hobby.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
skip99

I used bear claws , and can lock mine from the inside, just. Required making a slot at the attachment point, I think it's in the build, I would think you could do the same with an easy latch...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
Some_Guy

I've never had them pop open going down the road. I just don't like slamming the doors 3+ times to get them to latch. I'm sure the neighbors love it at 5am when I'm leaving for work. Right now my doors don't even lock from the outside, so I'm not so concerned about the locks.

Anyone have good resources on how to rebuild the hinges or align the doors? If not I'll use the google machine.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
mr48chev

Getting the doors to fit right and having the hinges in tops shape is an absolute must before attacking the latches.

If it's an AD body style I'd highly suggest changing the latches for some that are more secure as even slightly worn lAD latches are suspect and may allow the door to pop open at inopportune times. That may not be as big an issue on Task Force trucks.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #17
The805Garage

$350 sounds a little steep for my pocket book for latches. I was checkin these out. Anyone ever used these? http://www.hotrodlatches.com/Large_L...nstall-kit.htm

$50 and American made!
The805Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
jackson

I read if you use aftermarket 49 style door handles . they give problems with the altman latch. something about the repop being to stiff. anyone know anything about that. and what to do?
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #19
CTurner1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
I read if you use aftermarket 49 style door handles . they give problems with the altman latch. something about the repop being to stiff. anyone know anything about that. and what to do?
Our Altman Easy Latch for the 1947-1951 Chevy Truck is our number 1 selling latch kit for 4 years now. I handle 99% of all tech calls that come in to our offices and have not had an issue where someone could not get a re manufactured handle to work. I would be happy to answer any and all questions concerning our latches. And to all of you that have used and experienced the value in our latch kits, thank you. It is mostly through word of mouth that our latches have caught on (pardon the pun) like they have. We really appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #20
sleepindawg

CTurner1978
Is there going to be any R&D on the latches to be able to lock them from the inside?

Tim
sleepindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
CTurner1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindawg View Post
CTurner1978
Is there going to be any R&D on the latches to be able to lock them from the inside?

Tim
It is something that we have taken in to consideration. There is nothing in the works at this time, but we do have some ideas on the back burner to address the issue.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #22
Groyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The805Garage View Post
$350 sounds a little steep for my pocket book for latches. I was checkin these out. Anyone ever used these? http://www.hotrodlatches.com/Large_L...nstall-kit.htm

$50 and American made!
I have the Trique on my '51 and it shuts like a new car. It took a few hours to do both sides. The instructions are pretty simple.

I have the hotrodlatches.com on my '57. It took me a couple days due to having to fab up some pieces and experimenting. I ended up drilling out and cutting a portion of the casing to remove the top lever and weld on a push button to work with the '57 style handle. They work great, but it definitely took more effort. Search "Bear Claw Latch Tech" by Antny on the hamb for a pretty good tech on it.
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #23
Coach529

I put the Altman kit in my '49 and could not be happier.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #24
octanejunkie

Quote:

$50 and American made!
They ave a small latch kit for $38 too.. I send them an email asking what they recommend for 55-59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groyd View Post
I have the Trique on my '51 and it shuts like a new car. It took a few hours to do both sides. The instructions are pretty simple.

I have the hotrodlatches.com on my '57. It took me a couple days due to having to fab up some pieces and experimenting. I ended up drilling out and cutting a portion of the casing to remove the top lever and weld on a push button to work with the '57 style handle. They work great, but it definitely took more effort. Search "Bear Claw Latch Tech" by Antny on the hamb for a pretty good tech on it.
What is the "Trique" please?

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #25
49panel

Quote:

$50 and American made!
I used these also on my 49 Panel. Large on the driver and passenger and a medium on the latching rear door. All are set up with remote opening and shaved door handles.
Took a little engineering and fab to install but not too difficult for an old fart like me.
49panel is offline   Reply With Quote