The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
69gmctowrig

what should i do to 'er?

Any suggestions? i know it needs a wiring harness, and the big ol dent fixed, lol.
I'm thinking of leaving it stockish, maybe with the aluminum rims like are on the front already. I also want to yank the engine and paint that orange. I'd like a stock type paint job, probably green since the interior is green. Is it hard to find the trim to put back down the sides? Or would i be better off pulling that and filling the holes? Needs a tailgate too. apparently the PO couldn't back up to a trailer
69gmctowrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: what should i do to 'er?

That`d be nice kinda stockish all freshened up.You can buy a complete set of upper/lower side mouldings for around $500(repro).I`d say stay with the trim.Those finned aluminums would look sweet,too.Maybe a white tonneau cover if you`re keeping the top white.If not,black looks good with that color and the black in the mouldings.Here`s a night shot of a white cover on a two tone I had:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
cdowns

it really depends on what you want out of the truck and what your budget is . if plans are for a driver then i'd spend my money on the brakes tires and suspension also investigate weather you can repair the present wiring harness cheaply or if in fact it makes sence to replace it. removing and cleaning the gas tank is always a cheap precaution and a great time to clean up the interior and floor of the cab. then theres the engine new plugs wires car rotor points condensor filters and vaccumehoses and battery cables are all cheap insurance// anyway thats how i'd spend my first thousand dollars on a project like that by building a reliable driver
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
69gmctowrig

I'd love to know what year model it is, lol. can anyone tell from the grill or anything? VIN apparently says it's a 67, but it has side marker lights. i know basically nothing about these trucks yet, although i've played with plenty of old chevy horsepower in the past with camaros and such.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
69gmctowrig

the mirror is mounted to the roof, not the windshield, and the side markers are one piece, not the stacked kind (not sure if that's significant). also, the grill never appears to have been painted black in any areas on the cross or under the grill around the turn signals. here's the VIN: CE10DSA16580
Anybody know what year model it is? i still hav ethe option sheet in the glovebox, but no year model info.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
TugOwar

Nice looking rig bro. I always liked the turbine style wheels.

Check here for VIN decoding.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Grill & hood are 69/70 style, looks like it is still 6 lug. What cdowns said is what I would do if you want to drive it. get it safe first, then work on the visuals.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
69gmctowrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step
Grill & hood are 69/70 style, looks like it is still 6 lug. What cdowns said is what I would do if you want to drive it. get it safe first, then work on the visuals.
Yep, it's 6 lug. the grill was apparently painted black around the headlights at some point upon closer inspection. and already has power steering *pimp*
I'll have more pics of it in a lil while when i get back home. gotta upload them and resize them. it's got an interesting pinstripe package on it with stripes up the hood. the interior looks like it was pimped out in it's hey day too. nice designs in the door panels and seat. the number i poseted was off the glovebox door, oops. so i'll look at the door number too. thanks guys
Old 07-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
Rod

Call it a 69 GMC with the vin posted.

Where's the 68 tow rig? Ill search your posts , maybe you posted a pic already.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Isn`t your name "69"gmctowrig?I figured it was a`69,although it could have been a`70 from the pictures.Rod knows the technical stuff,you can trust it`s a`69.What does it say under GMC on the fender badge?If it says "V-Eight",it`s a base-model w/alot of options.But,it`s not because it wouldn`t have the brightwork around the glass.If it says "Custom",it`s a mid-level model(rubber mat).I think it`s a SuperCustom,because of the upper moulding...Top of The Line for 69/70.I assumed you were asking for suggestions for a route to take on style/cosmetics.Obviously you would want to concentrate on putting it in proper mechanical operating condition,as with any vehicle.But,I figured you already knew that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
69gmctowrig

That's where it gets confusing. it says "v-eight" under gmc badge on the front fenders, but it's really tricked out with a nice pinstripe package. the interior has what i would assume is full trim because the door panels are covered in fancy designs, but it has a rubber mat. over each door handle it has a badge that says custom though. i'll post up pics when i get back from church.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

It`s a Custom.That`s how GMC did it.They didn`t use badges like Chevy to show engine options.But,if it had a V8,the nameplate says it.

Tim

Old 07-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
69gmctowrig

sweet. that solves that mystery. My current plan on things to fix, and what order are as follows, let me know if i am way off base.
1-while it's sitting up not running i'm going to totally clean the thing inside and out so that i'm not scared of getting bit by large rats or anything when i work on it, lol
2- trace back the wiring harness to where the wires aren't burnt and make a new wiring harness assuming i can use the existing connectors (if they aren't burnt)
3- go through the engine and fuel system and clean everything and get the truck running
After those things, or while waiting on money to do some of those things i'll do some of the minor stuff like take apart the heater box and all and clean that stuff out, check wiring to all the guages, go into the doors and lube the locks and window cranks and all. After i have it running i'll check out the brakes and power steering and stuff. i'd like to swap to front disk brakes maybe, but i want to keep the 6 lug pattern if i do. so i'll have to do some searching in here and see what i can do.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

You`re on track.^-lug disc kitsare available,but it means all new parts.As in a complete kit.If you are lowering,it`s a good time to get your drop spindles as part of the kit.
What are your wiring problems?What symptoms are you having?Do you see bad wiring?

Tim

Old 07-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
69gmctowrig

I definitely want to keep the 6 lugs. i want to stay as original as possible i think. Even if i change colors, i want to keep a stock color and appearance. i have a 10 bolt front axle that i can put disks on and put under the truck, i may go that route adn find some leaf springs if getting a disk conversion is too high. if it stops halfway decent with drums i'll keep drums.
As far as wiring goes, some moron mixed up the battery cables or something and ended up burning up the harness where it crosses over the radiator and goes to the headlights, etc. so, about 4-6 feet of wire needs to be replaced.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
69gmctowrig

oh, and for rims, i'm thinking about painting the aluminum turbines on it a dark grey then buffing the surfaces to a high shine and clear coating them. kinda get the dukes of hazzard rim thing going on, lol
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Maybe you could just pull that harness from a junker.Big Rigs use drums,something to think about.I think the drum vs disc thing is more a matter of "ease of maintainence".Like the batteries,f/i,electronic ignitions...
I could always stop on drums and I could always make it home on points.

Tim