The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Frkypunk70

Kids and Trucks some ???

Have a couple of questions. I have 4.5 year old twin girls and was wondering if its possible to have them ride in my truck. I still have a bench seat with lap belts and question whether or not this is safe or, on a lesser note if "the man" will give me problems. Or better yet what are you guys doing or modifications done to facilitate this. I really want them to be a part of my hobby. Thanks Tim , Oh and heres a pic of them ...cause you know you can't talk to a parent without them showing you a pic.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
bosco200

Re: Kids and Trucks some ???

Do they still ride in a booster seat or anything?
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Frkypunk70

Yes, they still ride in booster seats...but booster seats are only used because of the shoulder harness being to high. My 70 doen't have shoulder harness though. But Its all a grey area to me.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
Yes, they still ride in booster seats...but booster seats are only used because of the shoulder harness being to high. My 70 doen't have shoulder harness though. But Its all a grey area to me.
according to Pa law its like NC ages 4-8 in a booster seat. (Im assuming we are talking about Pa)

Child Car Seat Laws
Kids under four must ride in a federally-approved car seat or booster.
Kids between four and eight must ride in a booster if they have outgrown a safety seat.
Kids between eight and 18 must use a seat belt.

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/s..._Car_Seat_Laws
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Ryan5O

As far as the legality portion, I think Liz nailed it.
On a personal note, the kids think its great. For my little girl, its the only time she ever gets to sit in the front. You can tell its special.
Is it as safe as a shoulder belt? Without a doubt, no its not. Will it stop me from taking her on rides? No it wont. I grew up on motorcycles and have been riding in traffic almost my entire adult life. I use the same motorcycle riding mentality when Im driving the truck. Drive defensively, use common sense, look for the idiots, etc. Enjoy your truck. Better yet, enjoy it with the one's you love.
Ryan5O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Cute kids!

It varies from state to state, so look up your state's laws...

But here in NC, If the child is under 80lbs and 8 years old they must still ride in a booster seat. If the vehicle has no shoulder belts, and the child is over 40lbs they can ride with just the lap belt. Under that and they need a seat. Also any truck older than 72 is exempt from these laws, as is any car older than 68.

I would double check your state laws, then from there do anything you feel will keep them safe. I grew up with the R.A.R.S. (Right Arm Restraint System) and I survived, but these days I would do anything to keep a child of mine safe.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
nate_g_2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
Cute kids!

I would double check your state laws, then from there do anything you feel will keep them safe. I grew up with the R.A.R.S. (Right Arm Restraint System) and I survived, but these days I would do anything to keep a child of mine safe.
Hahaha it took me a minute to figure out what that was, but I actually grew up with it too!
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
bosco200

So you have lap belts.....don't booster seats work with lap belts?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
bosco200

Here Hope this helps.....http://www.buckleupnc.org/laws_cps.cfm
Old 06-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Frkypunk70

I feel like they are less safe with the booster and the lap belt as opposed to just the lap belt.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco200 View Post
How is an explanation of North Carolina laws going to help him in Pennsylvania?
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
bosco200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
How is an explanation of North Carolina laws going to help him in Pennsylvania?

O are those for North Carolina?....I thought they were just the basic laws, my bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
NC67Chev

Being the parent of 7 and 5 year olds, I would not let my kids ride with the lap belts. In my opinion, the legality of it should not be the most important question. Instead, ask yourself if it you think it's safe or not! I rigged up a booster a couple of times so my oldest could ride with me some, but it didn't take me long to feel like I was doing something unsafe. This is of course my opinion, which probably isn't worth much.

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

You can purchase shoulder harness seat belts, but that only takes care of one of your two beutiful girls. how about a car seat that is buckled in with a lap belt but has it's own restraints mounted to it. Just an idea. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Tuff Gong

I let my 6 year old ride with me all the time. My parents did a whole lot worse to me as I was growing up. I think it comes down to whether or not you feel OK with it. Just my 2 cents.
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Frkypunk70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atkinson View Post
I let my 6 year old ride with me all the time. My parents did a whole lot worse to me as I was growing up. I think it comes down to whether or not you feel OK with it. Just my 2 cents.
I know what you mean. My mom had a 74 Caddy Eldorado and it was a playground in the back of that thing. I even remember crawling up on the rear dash as a kid Boy times have changed.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My granddaughter is five and she loves to ride in grandpas big green truck. I put her car seat in there held in with the trucks lap belt. The car seat also has a strap that comes off of the top that has a locking hook on it. I bring that all the way down to hook on the underside of the bench.

I asked her how come she likes riding in the truck. She said its the only time she ever gets to ride in the front. Every other car or truck she rides in is a late model four door of some sort.

Last edited by CG; 06-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
Steve Hafner

The "Good-old-days" weren't always so good - were they !!!
Attached Images

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
My granddaughter is five and she loves to ride in grandpas big green truck. I put her car seat in there held in with the trucks lap belt. The car seat also has a strap that comes off of the top that has a locking hook on it. I bring that all the way down to hook on the underside of the bench.

I asked her how come she likes riding in the truck. She said its the only time she ever gets to ride in the front. Every other car or truck she rides in is a late model four door of some sort.
x2....

My 2 y/o loves riding in Yeller.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
AirSpeed

When I was a kid we used to ride around in the back of the truck! In fact when I was 7 or 8 I used to ride around in the back of my grandfathers truck which is now mine. These days it's against the law to even let a dog ride in the back unless it's hooked in.
I'm sure such laws have saved a lot of kids lives but we sure had a lot of fun riding around back there! I miss the good old days!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #21
Frkypunk70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
When I was a kid we used to ride around in the back of the truck! In fact when I was 7 or 8 I used to ride around in the back of my grandfathers truck which is now mine. These days it's against the law to even let a dog ride in the back unless it's hooked in.
I'm sure such laws have saved a lot of kids lives but we sure had a lot of fun riding around back there! I miss the good old days!
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe I could get some old subaru brat rumble seats and mount them in my box.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
cdowns

all the kids i grew up with rode in pickups with no seatbelts and in the box// dont ever remember any of them dyin from the experience
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I know this is not "helping" you, but in ref to the few booster seat questions... yes booster seats and car seats both work with lap belts. When you purchase a car seat new in the box, it has this funky metal clip in it..

The clip secures the lap belt, so it can not slide and allow the child seats to become loose. Like everything else, it needs to be installed properly, or it is useless.

My son rode in a 65 caprice, 69 pickup etc when he was small. It was what we owned,, it was what was used. I used the clips and the seats were fine. Mind you he was in an infant seat and car seat at the time. If he was in a booster alone, I may be more concerned as they can fling forward. Thankfully you can purchase booster seats, with a back and a 5 point harness in them. That would work fine with a lapbelt and metal clip IMHO.

Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
ldgn63

Im putting 3 non-retractable shoulder belts in mine. The two outer top anchors are already there (but truck came with lap only in base '67). Its a small window so I will put in middle top anchor just above the window (with a good backing plate). Plan on using the cab light hole for access.... wish me luck.

Maybe a BETTER option for you is BRITAX car seats. The models I have right now will keep my kids in a FULL harness until 65lbs.
BRITAX also makes a version that will keep them in a full harness until 85lbs. They are not cheap... but price really wasn't a consideration for the purpose they serve for me.
ldgn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Do you really think that kids have never ridden in pickups with lap belts before let alone all the other classic cars back in the day, I'm sure most of the over 40's on this board did so with their parents, they were safe enough then and they still are...granted todays vehicles are "Safe-er" but unless your going out in your truck with a mind to being broadsided by a Mack Truck, Train or rolling down a Ravine, then your lap belts are going to keep your beautiful kids perfectly safe in the event of any of the usual daily prangs that may ocur...unless your planning on driving them around at 80 MPH.
I would add, you'd take your kiddies on a plane right? and lap belts on them are about as usefull as a chocoalte fireplace, it's all about playing on fears these days, driving is and always was an unsafe business, heck life is an unsafe business, but if we are all going to worry about every possible eventuality then we wouldn't leave the house....but then most accidents involving kiddies happen in the home.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote