The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Chvy2NV

Looking at buying truck out of state. IL

I've been talking to a forum member chromejunkie for the past week or so at possibly buying his 67 SWB. Does anyone know him or can vouch for him? I'm looking at sending a deposit to commit to the sale But he doesn't have PayPal. The remaining balance will be done in person. (He's a tuck driver and delivering the truck himself)
Anyone in the Bement ILINOIS Area?? It sucks to do this. But with all the scams going on. I'm just trying to be safe. Don't mean to offend anyone...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Chvy2NV; 07-09-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Looking at buying truck out of state. IL

Is this truck in the 67-72 For Sale section on here because I went back to early March and can't see the for sale ad?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Chvy2NV

No. Not posted here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

so, you are essentially asking strangers online to vouch for a stranger you are unsure of online? Not being assy, just not getting the point of this thread at all.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Thanks Liz..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
70cst

Is this the truck ?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=517410

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Chvy2NV

No not exactly. I am friends with a few guys on here that have been on the forum for a few years now and have created a network of friends all over the country where if someone needs something from a specific area. A fellow member offers to go take a look or whatever and the same is done for anyone that would need our help in our area.
Someone like myself that is relatively new to the forum might seem like stranger to most. But I can be a CLose friend with one of the moderators or more active guys on the forum That would have a more reputable name although they are strangers you can kinda get a feel of who they are by their posts and how long theyve been around. (less likely to do something when you've been part of the community when theyve been around for a while I think)
Maybe someone knows of another safe way to send the deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
so, you are essentially asking strangers online to vouch for a stranger you are unsure of online? Not being assy, just not getting the point of this thread at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
70cst

From what I can tell he has only been sign up for about four months ...

Not saying that is bad... it's just not a long time to know a member via internet

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Chvy2NV

Yes thats the truck

I agree. But like myself. I've only been around a few months but have a few guys that can vouch for me.
I've never bought anything like this. Was just trying to get a feel from those that have.
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
From what I can tell he has only been sign up for about four months ...

Not saying that is bad... it's just not a long time to know a member via internet
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Chvy2NV; 07-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
Yes thats the truck

I agree. But like myself. I've only been around a few months but have a few guys that can vouch for me.
I've never bought anything like this. Was just trying to get a feel from those that have.
Thanks guys.

Posted via Mobile Device

You are acting wisely as it is best to do all your homework before buying. Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
502ms

I have bought vehicles from out of state...I would say the biggest thing is to make sure it is insured if you cannot lockdown someone to review it for legitimacy
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
big_al_71

That sweet 67 is going to become part of the south florida crew!!!

Make it happen Mandy!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
custom1970

Hope this works out for you, always welcome to see more of these trucks around here. Think i'd consider looking for a independent car appraiser in that area, might be worth a couple of bucks to make sure things are what they look like. I've heard a lot of horror stories about buying something sight unseen...
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I been thinking about this and here is what I would do. You said the seller is willing to deliver it to you and he would want a committment from you which is normal. I would settle on a price with him and get him to send you a copy of the title so you know everything is 10-4 with the truck. If you are satisfied with the title stuff send hime 500.00 deposit and tell him you will pay the rest when he delivers the truck. Even if you got an appraiser to check the truck I'm sure the seller would still want a deposit before delivering. I think if you did it my way and the seller is legit with nothing to hide and has described the truck as it really is he should have no trouble going along with this idea. I guess from the sellers concern if you declined to buy it when he showed up with it then he be mad but if he is on the up and up as you are then it should all work out. Bottom line you either end up with the truck or he runs with your 500.00which although it'd make you mad it wouldn't change your life.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
bbadfred
bbadfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
I've been talking to a forum member chromejunkie for the past week or so at possibly buying his 67 SWB. Does anyone know him or can vouch for him? I'm looking at sending a deposit to commit to the sale But he doesn't have PayPal. The remaining balance will be done in person. (He's a tuck driver and delivering the truck himself)
Anyone in the Bement ILINOIS Area?? It sucks to do this. But with all the scams going on. I'm just trying to be safe. Don't mean to offend anyone...
Posted via Mobile Device
I am a friend of Shawn and hes a straignt up guy and its a pretty nice truck very solid i did not crawl around under it but it looked pretty good pm me for more info. I just saw it a month ago at a Steak n Shake cruise. I have known him since the early 90s when we were in the Illinois street racer club. Hes on face book shawn nava
bbadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadfred View Post
I am a friend of Shawn and hes a straignt up guy and its a pretty nice truck very solid i did not crawl around under it but it looked pretty good pm me for more info. I just saw it a month ago at a Steak n Shake cruise. I have known him since the early 90s when we were in the Illinois street racer club. Hes on face book shawn nava
Good to hear

Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Chvy2NV

This is great news. I've been talking to Shawn for a few days now. And he's been great. This just makes it all better!! thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadfred View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saa View Post
Just use https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

You're protected and he's protected. They have been around for years, and it works fine. I've used it for many watches.

A few things to work out with him:
1) Who owns the truck from the time the escrow deposit is made? If it's you, you have to insure it and be sure they know that it's in transit.
2) Are there any fees due him, if you call off the deal due to condition?
3) Exactly what is your "agreement" as to your inspection and purchase? I would recommend a complete inspection period upon his arrival, and your ability to cancel the purchase if you're not satisfied with the truck, no conditions. In exchange he keeps a small portion for expenses, say $300 or $500.

If you feel strongly that you've done your due diligence on the condition, history, etc. on this truck, then your chance of turning it down is not really that high, unless he's really hiding things. If he is and you turn it down - it's the best $300-$500 you'll spend. You will also do a better job next time on initial evaluation.

Just an option that offers protection, and options. Don't forget the insurance. If you don't specify it, you will own the truck at deposit (when you executed a purchasing deposit for it) and if there is a problem (wreck, damage, vandalism, hail, etc), you will pay the price.

I hope it works out for you.
saa.
X2 read this again tonight and twice more in the morning after your coffee.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Chvy2NV

Yea. Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
X2 read this again tonight and twice more in the morning after your coffee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
1quik70

I bought my 71 sight unseen other than about 5 pictures. I asked to seller to take it to a shop on my choice, and let them go over it. I called the shop told the tech what I wanted him to look at and I'd pay him for his time. He called me when he was going over the truck and wouldn't even take my info for payment. I sent the funds, and it was loaded on a trailer 48hrs later. Just a thought, and would be well worth an hours labor.
Posted via Mobile Device
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Hart_Rod

Lots of good advice here. Never heard of the escrow thing, that's pretty cool and well worth the money. Good luck on your purchase.

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
resto newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I been thinking about this and here is what I would do. You said the seller is willing to deliver it to you and he would want a committment from you which is normal. I would settle on a price with him and get him to send you a copy of the title so you know everything is 10-4 with the truck. If you are satisfied with the title stuff send hime 500.00 deposit and tell him you will pay the rest when he delivers the truck. Even if you got an appraiser to check the truck I'm sure the seller would still want a deposit before delivering. I think if you did it my way and the seller is legit with nothing to hide and has described the truck as it really is he should have no trouble going along with this idea. I guess from the sellers concern if you declined to buy it when he showed up with it then he be mad but if he is on the up and up as you are then it should all work out. Bottom line you either end up with the truck or he runs with your 500.00which although it'd make you mad it wouldn't change your life.
This is a great idea and would solve a lot of uncertainty issues, but if the sellers state is like mine, my state doesn't title vehicles that old. Good Luck with your purchase and if you decide to change wheels, I have been looking for some wide factory fives.
resto newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I bought a car on the other side of the country once. It wasn't a mega buck ride for some folks, but it was 10K, and that was a ton of money for me. I got a cheap flight to the east coast and checked it out in person.

Ive just heard way to many stories of things going wrong, even with the supposed auto appraisers. When I had it shipped back I really researched it online. I went with the one that came up the best the most times and I still got screwed with.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Hart_Rod

So did you buy it???? Where are the pictures????
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
Chvy2NV

Ok guys, Here's an update. After a few long weeks of asking questions, looking at tons of pics, phone calls back and forward and hundreds of text messages. The owner Shaun and I came to an agreement. He was traveling to South Florida to buy a 68' Camaro and was going to trailer the truck down for me. At that point I sent him a small deposit. The date was not set as we had to work around his work schedule. But eventually the 3 weeks passed and it was D Day. Shaun was communicating with me every step of the way sending pics and keeping me posted as to there location. He arrived to South Florida a few hours later than the original expected time due to a tire blow out, rain, a bad accident. But eventually I got the call that he was pulling off the highway at the exit we had agreed on. He found an empty lot near by and I met up with him there.*
As I pulled around the corner. I was in complete disbelief that I was actually seeing the truck in person for the first time. I pulled up and met Shaun. We went over the entire truck and we exchanged title and other documents for a few dead presidents.*

Needless to say. I was happier than a pig in chit. I drove her home and put her in the garage.*

I just wanted to say that I could not have bought a truck from a more sincere, down to earth and just plain honest person. Shaun was awesome to do business with and not only did I get a nice truck( it was exactly what he described) I feel that I gained a friend through out this experience.*

A build thread will soon follow, stay tuned for details and truck specs..

Member Raull came by yesterday and beat me to posting the first pic of the truck in South Florida outside my house.*

Just wanted to say thanks to those that offered all the great advice.

And now for what you guys really want. The pics....

Posted via Mobile Device