The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Need Brake help Please

I've been dealing with a broken hand for the last several months so, I took my truck to a Hot Rod Shop to have a few things finished. I had the front brakes (disk ) and power booster installed but, no brake lines. Got the truck back today and on the way home, got to really test the brakes. Brake feels pretty good until you have to get down on them a little then, pedal stops going down like it hits a stop or something.....Definately not right. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
gulfcoast66
64-66 CHEVY JUNKIE

Re: Need Brake help Please

Do you have any Pics of the Brake Booster and M/C set-up ???
2017 GMC Serra 4x4 5.3 Vortec, 4l60-E
Do It In A Chevrolet
gulfcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoast66 View Post
Do you have any Pics of the Brake Booster and M/C set-up ???

It will be this afternoon before I can take some and get them posted. Thanks for the reply
Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
'65 chevy lover

Here's a pic of the booster/master/c.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
donthekawguy

Check the rear wheel cylinders. If they are good try bleeding them again. If all that is good check the MC.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
64shortbox

One other thing. Remove that plastic piece (switch) on top of the proportioning valve - it just unscrews. Underneath that there should be a V shaped looking block that should be centered. If it's not centered that may be part of the problem - you'll get more braking to either the front or rear than you should. That plastic switch trips the "brake" light on the newer cars. I hope this makes sense.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
Check the rear wheel cylinders. If they are good try bleeding them again. If all that is good check the MC.

I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
One other thing. Remove that plastic piece (switch) on top of the proportioning valve - it just unscrews. Underneath that there should be a V shaped looking block that should be centered. If it's not centered that may be part of the problem - you'll get more braking to either the front or rear than you should. That plastic switch trips the "brake" light on the newer cars. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
tincan1966

You said you didn't have any brake lines installed by the shop? Were your front lines already split? I see you have a proportioning valve installed and what appears to be new lines attached to it.

My initial guess would be that maybe the rear brakes need adjusted up a little tighter. This could cause the MC to actually bottom out.

There's also several other things, depending on the installation.
Did the installer redrill the brake pedal and move the linkage down 1" from the original pushrod hole?
Is the pushrod adjusted so that it is against the stop at the top of the travel without the brakes applied?

When we install power brakes on theses trucks, we do move the pushrod down 1", also we make sure the rubber stop is in place for the pedal to return against, then we adjust the pushrod so there is about 3/4" free travel measured at the pedal. With the brakes properly adjusted and bled, your pedal travel should only be roughly 1/2 the distance to the floor, and that's with leaning on them pretty hard.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
You said you didn't have any brake lines installed by the shop? Were your front lines already split? I see you have a proportioning valve installed and what appears to be new lines attached to it.

My initial guess would be that maybe the rear brakes need adjusted up a little tighter. This could cause the MC to actually bottom out.

There's also several other things, depending on the installation.
Did the installer redrill the brake pedal and move the linkage down 1" from the original pushrod hole?
Is the pushrod adjusted so that it is against the stop at the top of the travel without the brakes applied?

When we install power brakes on theses trucks, we do move the pushrod down 1", also we make sure the rubber stop is in place for the pedal to return against, then we adjust the pushrod so there is about 3/4" free travel measured at the pedal. With the brakes properly adjusted and bled, your pedal travel should only be roughly 1/2 the distance to the floor, and that's with leaning on them pretty hard.
No, the shop installed all the lines...front and rear. I already drilled the brake pedal 1 -3/8" down...this was the measurement called out in the directions. I believe the pushrod is adjusted correctly but, I'll re-check just to make sure. Thanks for the help!