The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Motor mounts and trans cross member

I did some searching on the web but, couldn't really find what I was looking for. I have a '65 LWB pickup that currently has a trashed out 283 in it. I have a 383 stroker coming from engine factory and I plan on putting a TH 350 behind it. I know I need to change the trans cross member and would like to replace the engine motor mounts as well. Could someone point me in the right direction to obtain new front motor mounts and a trans cross member! I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: Motor mounts and trans cross member

http://www.classicperform.com/Chevy-Truck.htm
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can use your original engine mount brackets with new replacement mounts. But if it were mine, I would upgrade to the '73-'87 style of engine mounts. To make that conversion you will need the frame brackets from a '73-'87 C20 or 30. For the tyrans cropssmember, a factory crossmember from a '63-'87 will also work. You'll just have to drill the bolt holes. Of course there are many that prefer to purchase the aftermarket engine mounts and crossmember. I prefer to spend that money elsewhere and use either OEM parts or build my own.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post

Thanks for the link 63burban, I appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You can use your original engine mount brackets with new replacement mounts. But if it were mine, I would upgrade to the '73-'87 style of engine mounts. To make that conversion you will need the frame brackets from a '73-'87 C20 or 30. For the tyrans cropssmember, a factory crossmember from a '63-'87 will also work. You'll just have to drill the bolt holes. Of course there are many that prefer to purchase the aftermarket engine mounts and crossmember. I prefer to spend that money elsewhere and use either OEM parts or build my own.

Thanks for the info Captain. would the trans cross member from the '63 - '87 also work for a 700r-4 if I decided to go that route? The 7000r-4 is what I would really rather use but, I mentioned the TH350 first because I already have one of them although it needs to be gone thru before I install it. When you mention drilling holes, are you talking about holes to locate it on the frame or, holes in the cross member to locate it on the trans?
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '63-'87 truck auto trans crossmember will work with any GM auto trans. It is just a matter of the correct location in the frame to accomodate the trans. And also using the correct trans mount. Yes I was referring to drilling holes in the frame flanges to bolt the crossmember in. To drill the uper holes, it is easiest to use a 8"+, 13/32" drill bit. The longer drill bit will allow you to drill the holes in the top flange, inserted thru the bottom holes. It is really quite simple to do and relatively inexpensive
Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
fs64

Does the C20 mount bolt directly on top of the frame rail or does it require a spacer ?
Thank you,
fs64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will have to trim the top flange a little, but they will work bolted directly to the top of the frame. Some guys prefer to add a 1/4" spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs64 View Post
Does the C20 mount bolt directly on top of the frame rail or does it require a spacer ?
Thank you,
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
kieth

Here is what the frame trimming looks like in order to use the later model motor mounts:

this is what you run into using 91 suburban motor mounts:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-jVGrQkF

this is how much we trimmed the frame to allow the newer style motor mounts to work...
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-mbFzsSf

How they looked:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-XnWz9nk

If I remember correctly it was easier to install the motor mounts on the engine, then set everything down and bolt the brackets in place rather than try and get things lined up with the brackets installed first then putting the pin in the rubber motor mounts.....it just worked better the other way. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote