The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

TH400 Question

I found a place in Ft Worth that has a TH400 core for me to have rebuilt. I've heard there are different tailshaft configurations as in, different tailshaft length and bolt on vs. slip on yoke. Is there a certain configuration that is more desirable? Thanks in advance.

Edit: If anyone is interested, name of the place is PDQ. Phone # is 817-496-6226, ask for RJ.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 08-06-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added content
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: TH400 Question

Unless you have the HD two piece driveshaft, where the slip yoke is to the rear of the carrier bearing or if you have a 1 piece driveshaft, you will have to use the slip yoke style housing. There are also two different sized slip yokes, you make sure your driveshaft gets the right slip yoke for whichever housing you use. Length isn't as much of an issue with trucks as it is with cars. Cars don't have as much room for longer housings.

Hope that helps.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
'65 chevy lover

Re: TH400 Question

There is a carrier bearing in the middle of the driveshaft but, apparently something was changed up with it as, there is no slipjoint at the carrier bearing. The only movment is at the front of the DS at the front yoke where it goes into the trans. I had a pretty diffecult time removing the DS from the truck because, it barely moved forward enough to get the rear of the shaft loose from the rearend. It must have been shortened up but, not quite enough. Looked at the front yoke and, the previous owner must have done something to the driveshaft. The weld at the front yoke looks like a monkey got up there and crapped on it or, someone that has never welded before welded the front yoke to the tube. Looks like I can expect to have a custom driveshaft made but, that's ok I guess as, I was already going to replace all the u-joints and now, after looking at that weld at the front, I would for sure be redoing it! Thanks for the info Mike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Unless you have the HD two piece driveshaft, where the slip yoke is to the rear of the carrier bearing or if you have a 1 piece driveshaft, you will have to use the slip yoke style housing. There are also two different sized slip yokes, you make sure your driveshaft gets the right slip yoke for whichever housing you use. Length isn't as much of an issue with trucks as it is with cars. Cars don't have as much room for longer housings.

Hope that helps.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote