The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Paint or powder coat?

While the motor is still out of my truck, I'm going to go ahead and pull the front clip off and either paint or powder coat the inner fenders and core support. Should I think about paint or powder coat for the inner fenders and core support...Which is more durable, paint or powder coat? Plan to also paint the front part of the frame and fire wall, at least as much as I can get to. Any suggestions as to what paint I should think about for the frame and fire wall?
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
wahl4m

Re: Paint or powder coat?

i had some mint inner fenders "powder coated " seems like about 1 year later they developed some rust in the usual places???? wondered if the coating sealed them up to tight ?? had another set painted/no problems ! that poeder coating -sure looks nice BUt ? any body have any clues ???
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
DLW

I'm going to have my inner fenders and core support powder coated for mine. I'm sure plenty of folks can offer up some paints to use as well. I will also be painting my frame and firewall, probably like a satin black for it all.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
DLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahl4m View Post
i had some mint inner fenders "powder coated " seems like about 1 year later they developed some rust in the usual places???? wondered if the coating sealed them up to tight ?? had another set painted/no problems ! that poeder coating -sure looks nice BUt ? any body have any clues ???
Bad prep work maybe?
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Powder is really durable, but it must be applied to "all" surfaces and cured when the metal temperature (of the part) is up to speed (not oven temperature). My cherry original tailgate was almost ruined by rust that started under the powder paint (around the edges). I didn't see the damage until it had grown to a significant amount.

I would do the radiator support, but I'd be concerned about the inner fenders, especially in the up front/top areas where typical rust appears. The brackets underneath collect debris and water. Unless these are sealed up with something the powder coating heat won't ruin, they will break out in rust even faster than they did originally when protected by the oem paint.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

Powder coating is cool for house furniture but nothing that will be used out in the elements.
I blast and POR15 frames, inner fenders, core supports, or anything that will be subjected to weather or road use. The underside of the inner fenders on my 56 Belair have been done for 12 years ( about 45k miles } and still no damage, just marks in the POR from stones.. The side of the inner fenders facing the engine compartment as well as the core support are painted with semi gloss equipment enamel and are easy to clean. I have been happy with the results and am painting my trucks in the same manor.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
nsb29

power coating is a fast and is environmentally friendly and fast no dry time that's why manufacturing uses it a chip in pant only rust in the chip powder coating a chip will let the rust travel under the coating hold moisture and will lift off in sheets its only a pretty face por 15 or a good apoxsee primer thin top coat it with a good enamel or urethane rust oleum on bare metal is more durable than powder
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
dougf

As others have stated, prep with anything is the key. Rust under paint or powdercoat will spread. I plan on blasting / wire wheeling my inner fenders and applying POR15 fwiw
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
cooperhw

I'll cast my vote for paint. I like the fact that you can always touch up or re-paint an area later on if you need/want to for whatever reason.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
doobiebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW View Post
Bad prep work maybe?
Correct, prep work is the most important stage before applying powdercoat! I have some experience working at a shop on the weekends. Sand blasting the part will leave an etching on the material for better adhesion. Afterwards cleaning the part with a soapy water degreaser or acid solution to clean all oil markings and bake part 15 mins before appling powder.. Applying the powder coat can take about 5 mins but on the other hand prepping can take hrs. Here sum pics..
Attached Images

66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #11
'65 chevy lover

Thanks to all for the feedback. It's much appreciated!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
66LSx

Make it durable forever...

Raptor speck bedliner is what mine will get.....

2012 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 CCSB
66LSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

This \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobiebro View Post
Correct, prep work is the most important stage before applying powdercoat! I have some experience working at a shop on the weekends. Sand blasting the part will leave an etching on the material for better adhesion. Afterwards cleaning the part with a soapy water degreaser or acid solution to clean all oil markings and bake part 15 mins before appling powder.. Applying the powder coat can take about 5 mins but on the other hand prepping can take hrs. Here sum pics..
Although, if the truck is something that is going to be driven year round and in all weather conditions, I would not powder coat parts that will be subjected to the elements. Particularly the frame and running gear.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Ratpin

On the plus side of PC. The part is cured in 10 minutes and ready to go into service immediately after cool down. No dry time like with paint. I do still paint a lot of stuff though only because powder application can be difficult on some parts. I good solid earth connection is very important while powder coating.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 AM   #15
imjeff

If I had the powder coat equipment I would powder coat, but since you have no control over the quality once you walk out the door, I'm a little leery. I use POR 15 like others have said. Eastwood has some good products as well. My utility trailer powder coat is coming off in sheets (big selling point), but my non-topcoated Chevelle undercarriage still looks great...POR 15.

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #16
Ratpin

Powder, like paint all comes down to prep. I have been dealing with powder coaters for 15+ years and more recently started doing parts myself and even when the part came back not looking great, I have never dealt with a single delamination issue with powder. I can't say the same with POR15 rust coating in my experience. You can follow all the instructions to a T with the POR, but if you stir a little too much or not quite enough the results can be catastrophic, and I've found you still need to top coat it of you want an even sheen, especially with their chassis black finish. I wont use that again. I do really like the POR15 engine enamels though and will continue to use them on my builds.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #17
LT1 Burb

I powder coated my core support and inners and put 20,000 miles on that truck and they still looked good as new.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
pimpston65

i painted my parts cuz I'm cheap!!! also i wanted that factory look...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #19
Turtleman

Paint you can touch up,, not always so easy to do with powder coats
Turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #20
'65 chevy lover

Appreciate all the replys. Looks like powder coat isn't as durable as I thought it was. Plus as stated, it's alot easier to touch-up paint. I think I'm gona go with paint, just have to decide what paint. I'll look into the POR15 and, bedliner coatings before I make my decision. Thanks again for all the in-put.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #21
Turtleman

Prep is always the key to a good finish.. I use a red oxide metal primer (Alkyd).. and the last 30+ years I've used a "Super Spec HP Urethane Alkyd Gloss Enamel (P22)" as a top coat.. I use it on undercarriages and currently I'm doing my control arms, springs ect. ect,, you know,, the whole front end disk brake swap
Turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #22
Mtl-Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Powder coating is cool for house furniture but nothing that will be used out in the elements.
There are powders out there that will stand the elements. Clear I use a lot.

CRYSTAL_CLEAR_SUPER_DURABLE_HIGH_GLOSS_CLEAR/
Mtl-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #23
Grandpa54

I've powder coated alot of parts over the last 25 years and never had anything come off. For frames and under carriage parts its the only way to go. If you spill gas or brake fluid on it it dosent come off. Thats my story and im sticking to it!
Grandpa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
63burban
Chevy addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa54 View Post
I've powder coated alot of parts over the last 25 years and never had anything come off. For frames and under carriage parts its the only way to go. If you spill gas or brake fluid on it it dosent come off. Thats my story and im sticking to it!
Come to the Midwest where we have gravel roads and rough roads, salt residue on the roads and rain. If you drive your vehicle on a regular basis around here, powder coat does not cut it.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote