The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Fixing rust, what order to do repairs?

I started off with the intension of just doing minor rust repair and getting my truck on the road. But after pulling the seat out and the floor mats, I discovered that there was way more rust than I aticipated. Both rockers, alot of the floor, both cab corners and below the fresh air vents on both sides has significant rust. Rather than take the easy way out and do a half ass job, I want to fix it RIGHT. Is there a certain order I need to follow when replacing these areas?
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
T.W.Dustin

Re: Fixing rust, what order to do repairs?

Post up some pictures if you can. Sounds like some major cab repair. How is the roof?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
'65 chevy lover

Roof is pretty good, don't think there is need for metal work. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
OldGMJon

Cool Re: Fixing rust, what order to do repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
I started off with the intension of just doing minor rust repair and getting my truck on the road. But after pulling the seat out and the floor mats, I discovered that there was way more rust than I aticipated. Both rockers, alot of the floor, both cab corners and below the fresh air vents on both sides has significant rust. Rather than take the easy way out and do a half ass job, I want to fix it RIGHT. Is there a certain order I need to follow when replacing these areas?
Sounds like its a complete floor and kick panel replacement. Worth it if you like the truck. Saw a good thread on here about the floor replacement
64' Chevy C30 flatbed "above" 80' C30 "beneath")
Parts:
66' GMC 2503 & 65' GMC I1500
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
joesscamaro

Sounds like you've got a lot to cut out, so I would recommend bracing the cab some before all the removal begins. I'm in the middle of all the same repairs on my truck as well. I cut out all my damaged panels and then started cutting to fit the new pieces. I started from the inside and worked my way to the outside of the cab. Can corners were the last piece I welded on. Not saying you have to do them last, just saying. It can be overwhelming to look at when you cut out all the rusted metal, just go slow and leave one side together to use as reference. It's not all that bad!
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote