The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
beeftip

Gauging the market for these trucks

After a lot of careful thought I've decided to sell my truck. It's just not going to fit in with my plans of towing a boat. It'd be different if I could seat more people comfortably. Plus, I really have no business owning this or any other "classic" vehicle.

I'm assuming the collector market in general has taken a hit given the economy. I don't imagine my truck has much collector appeal other than to those who really love these trucks. Even in that market, I would guess my truck lacks a lot of desirable features.

Given these circumstances, do any of you have experience trying to sell these trucks and what advice can you give? Specifically I'm looking for advice on valuating the vehicle and targeting the market for these trucks.
Manual Drum Brakes
Permanently foggy windshield
Weak Wiper Motor
Squeaky Clutch and Brake Pedal
Really Cool Green Paint
It's for sale!
beeftip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Gauging the market for these trucks

Supply and demand are always factors. Given the hard times that some folks are having, there will be people who'd like to have it but can't afford the house notes they have, or the health insurance, either. So, those folks are out of the pool.

The people who are able to buy....what are they looking for? Is what you have what they want? How much money do you have to have for it to be able to walk away from it? You can look at various publications that say they are tracking the hobby, but in all honesty it comes down to who wants it and has the money to pay for it. Check out this site (you're a supporter) and see what they're asking. Remember, you can always come down, but you can't go up on your price. Heck, you may find that there's someone who'd be willing to make some trade for what you want. Check out www.Trucktrader.com and see what's happening there. I sold a '69SWB in '02, the next day after I put a free ad on-line in truck trader. Guy drove 6 hours to buy it and drove it back to Ft. Worth. Then, he sent me some pix after he had re-done it. He just had to rub it in.....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
jorgensensc

Re: Gauging the market for these trucks

I'm sorry to hear that and wish we could change your mind. With that said, since you are a site supporter I would take many pictures, list all the specs (engine/ tranny, rear end, options, etc), condition of the truck (rust, repair, etc). Take pictures of the problem ares, and write a brief, but honest description of how the truck drives, the problems, and why you are selling it (as you did above). Then I would start a What's It Worth thread (WIW) and see what the experts on here rate it at. Then I would take their comments, put it in the for sale section at the suggested price and wait for the sale. I would also put it on Classic Auto Trader, but list it for 500.00 - 1000.00 more than what you list it for here. The reason is that We are a bunch of cheapskates. We will value it correctly, but won't pay a dime over that price. Everyone else in the world that doesn't know about the value of these trucks will try and talk you down and negotiate price with you. If you negotiate with those people they feel like they get a good deal and you get what the truck is worth. It is a win/win. Plus outside of this message board there are a lot of spontanious/ uneducated consumers. There is no reason why you shouldn't be alowed to make a little (stress little) more profit off of those consumers. If they want the best deals, they should become educated. This is theory that professional Ebay sellers thrive on.
These are just my honest opinions though.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 08-28-2008 at 02:08 PM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote