The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Steve66

Reproduction factory tach installation

I ordered the repro factory tach from Brothers last week and it showed up today. It took me a whole 30 minutes to install it and I didn't have to take the instrument cluster out. Pretty easy and straight forward to do. The wiring is about as simple as it can get and while it is a little tight working behind the dash it isn't that bad. I used a 1/4" ignition wrench and not much else. I'll post some pictures later. Yeah it's a little expensive and shipping is stupid too but it looks like it belongs there and besides if I was trying to save money I wouldn't be trying to fix this thing up in the first place

Just posting this to let people know it's easier to install than you think.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
oldtrux

Re: Reproduction factory tach installation

thanks for posting!i am looking at the same upgrade as well....i agree,if we were trying to save money we wouldn't have chose this hobby lol......dan
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
I ordered the repro factory tach from Brothers last week and it showed up today. It took me a whole 30 minutes to install it and I didn't have to take the instrument cluster out. Pretty easy and straight forward to do. The wiring is about as simple as it can get and while it is a little tight working behind the dash it isn't that bad. I used a 1/4" ignition wrench and not much else. I'll post some pictures later. Yeah it's a little expensive and shipping is stupid too but it looks like it belongs there and besides if I was trying to save money I wouldn't be trying to fix this thing up in the first place

Just posting this to let people know it's easier to install than you think.
always check with other places before you buy. prices fluctuate quite a bit
http://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-.../#.VfCdIn2TLP0
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Steve66

Hmmm....that is a little cheaper than the one I ordered. I checked a few places but I missed that one. Doesn't matter now because it's installed.

I didn't use the light that came with it. I just plugged the factory bulb that was in the blank spot into it. I'll probably cut that part of the wiring out of it after I have it for a while when I'm sure I won't use it.

The instructions that came with it call for the removal of the instrument cluster as do some of the online tutorials that I found but you don't have to do that. I did pop out some of the instrument bulbs and unhook the gauges to give me a little more room but that was it. I wear an XL glove and I didn't have any problems. Like I said. It's pretty easy if you have normal skills.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Dweezle

I have what I believe is the same tach in my recently acquired truck (was installed by PO), but I've had to disconnect it. I kept going through ignition modules every few days. The last time I replaced it I unplugged the tach and haven't had the module go out since. I didn't get any installation instructions or packaging for the tach when I bought the truck, so I'm wondering if you had to do anything specific to keep it from causing problems? I'm relatively new to the classic truck thing, or well, to working on vehicles at all really, so I don't know why it's causing this problem, I just know that it seems like the tach is the problem. Thanks for any info, and congrats on the new tach!
Dweezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Steve66

I'm running the original points ignition. One wire hooked to the negative side of the coil and another to the fuse box. I've heard that HEI takes a different approach but I can't help you there. There is no mention of it in the instructions. I've heard that some tachs need an inline filter of some sort when using HEI so you might investigate that. I plan on keeping the points setup so I didn't really take that into consideration. Wish I had more to tell you.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Dweezle

No problem, and thanks for the reply. I noticed the link posted above on classic car parts indicates it will work with HEI, and I can confirm it "works" as in, I get accurate readings...until the ignition module goes. Have some more pressing issues I'm working through on the truck right now, but a full re-wire is next up, so hopefully I'll be able to sort it out at that time. Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Steve66

I'm curious as to how the tach knocks the module out. It doesn't seem like a probable thing but obviously something must be going on.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
Dweezle

I'm curious too. I've subscribed to this thread and will post back with any findings once I do the rewire. Still finishing up some work on a cam replacement, so it might be a few weeks due to that and my upcoming work schedule.