The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

hey, i just noticed something

to be in line with NHRA specs, after i get gears and run a 13.99 or faster, it would be manditory for me to use a helmet and driveshaft safety hoop.

more moneys to spend
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
SanitysBane

word, i run IHRA so i have no clue what their rules are, but pole vaulting can happen with a steel drive shaft, not an aluminum one, i know from when i broke my front U-joint.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

funny story guys,

before i got my tranny rebuilt about 2 years ago, i was driving down my street, and moved the volume knob on the radio to turn it up or down or something. well, when i moved my arm, i accidently hit the shifter into reverse going about 35mph.... NO GOODS!!

my drive shaft dropped at both U-joints and i was stuck about 4 houses from my own. after i got new u-joints installed the tranny was slipping a lot and then about 4 months later it went out completly(well almost) and i only had 1st and Reverse left.

so thats the reason why it was rebuilt.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
SanitysBane

lol, my front u joint just broke because of old age, driving home going about 83 or so, velt a bad vibration and looked up to see a 3 foot long chunck of my drive shaft shoot out the back of the truck, good thing no one was behind me, and i remeber saying to my self "hmm...i might need that to get home..." so i pullled over and got the drive shaft and looked in the middle of the road to see a large chunk of my bell housing laying in the road, it was from the very top, luckily my neighbor was on his way home and helped me out and gave me a ride home, but he asked me when we went to push the truck it it was in nutral, i just gave him a blank look and pointed at the drive shaft crazy old guy.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote