The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
LILREDGMC

4 Speed with slave cylinder

Looking for someone who has been there and done that. 1985 3/4 454 4 spd, clutch pedal is generlly more stiff than my 71 GMC with same combo, only its a linkage clutch, not with the small master on brake pedal, and slave on clutch fork.

It's been stiff, engages close to floor, but generally acceptable. Now this week it started to feel different, and then trying to ease it into first, found the trans still turning. So good news, the clutch is fine but will not release, bad news, should I chase after the slave, or the master on the firewall.

The slave moves when the pedal is pushed, but appears not to move far enough. Filled reservoir, opened bleeder on slave, and allowed some fluid to pass. Then stroked pedal and held, opened bleeder, then closed after pedal hit floor. Still have the same scenario.

So, slave or master. Have you been there? Any other troubleshooting information would be appreciated.

Thanks

LILREDGMC
LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:40 AM   #2
Fixit

I've been through this with my 1986 c10 three on the tree. My master was leaking fluid on the inside of the cab down by the peddle. Everything was pretty old and worn out so I decided to change the Master and Slave cylinder and the hose between them. After putting everything in and bleeding the system a number of times I still couldn't get the clutch to work right. I got out my Haynes Manual and actually read past the part were it says that the clutch bleeds like a brake system. I found out that I had to unbolt the slave cylinder and tip the front of the cylinder up at about a 45 degree angle so that the bleeder screw was up and have one of my helpers (the oldest one of the Fixit Siblings, I would have used the younger one but she probably would have taken this opportunity to test the horn) push in the clutch all the way and hold it, then I cracked the bleeder open till the fluid stopped and closed it, helper then lets up on the clutch. Anyway you get the idea. It helps to use some aquarium air tubing going from the bleeder screw to a container, unless you are one of those people that likes the taste of brake fluid. After I bolted the slave cylinder back in the clutch worked great. Let me know how yours turns out.
Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
LILREDGMC

Slave Cylinder

The position of the bleeder is real handy allowing for the dose of fluid in the face as you mentioned. Been then, didn't drink. You replaced both the master and slave, My master appears "newer" the slave shows age, neither appear to be leaking fluid anywhere, so I will probably start with the master. The slave will move the clutch fork - some - but obviously not enough to release the clutch. How is you pedal pressure? I was amazed at how heavy the pedal was with the hydralics, especially after replacing the 71 with a performance clutch, and pressure plate and comparing the two. My foot tries to go through the floor on the 71 after driving the 85. Thanks for the reply. Saturday's adventure awaits.
LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

bleed it, if that doesnt help, replace the slave.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote