The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Ironhorse

'84 1/2T Dumbo Mirrors

Friend of mine just recently bought the above truck and is working thru some condition issues to use it for a daily driver. The passenger side dumbo mirror was broken in it's previous ownership. We removed the outside stainless cover which had one Phillips screw holding it. From there were two 10 mm bolts that held the arm mount in place and guess it provides tension. It was apparent after loosening those two bolts that the mirror arm would not slide up and out as there seems to be a collar of some sort at the lower end that is on the mirror arm. Three bolts appear to hold the entire assembly to the door skin of the truck but they are not 10 mm size, maybe 9 mm as they are smaller than the 10mm wrench we had. With the correct size wrench is it just a matter of removing those three bolts and the outside assembly comes off or is there a "backing" plate in the door cavity that will then fall to the floor. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm a 67-72 guy and not that familiar with these new fangled modern trucks.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
rjn72

Re: '84 1/2T Dumbo Mirrors

no backing plate as i remember, just three plastic inserts that the bolts thread into.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If it is done right, there is an arm or rod inside the door on one of the bolts to transfer the flexing and vibration from the mirror to the inside panel. Otherwise you would stress your outside panel and then it would crack. I know my truck has them.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Thanks for the replies. From the looks of the truck I would think it is pretty much unmolested and pretty well neglected also. By removing all three bolts from the outside mirror mount to the door will that allow the rod or bracket to fall or is it fastened at the inner panel? Hope to change the mirror without having to remove the inside door panels right now.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the bolt that sits closest to the vent window has a bracket thats kinda shaped like a question mark. this holds the outer and inner parts of the door sheetmetal together. As long as that is properly bolted into the inner door , it shouldnt move too far that you could just poke it into position with a narrow screwdriver or awl if it moved. the other bolts are held in by a fitting that is now part of the door skin,, kinda like a compression deal. most of these trucks like to rot away with neglect, but hey as much as you 67-72 guys like your genre we love these old squarebodies.. and therye just as much fun to restore as your trucks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Ironhorse

Thanks again for the replies on the mirror question. Will get with my friend later today and see if we can put that info to use. Trying to get him to join up on the board, maybe this will help. My brother-in-law (old wagon) finally joined after I talked to him several times. He has a '83 1 ton dually, 4x4, 454, 4 spd. "Bigger is Better" I guess, LOL Guess I'm the "odd man out" of the three of us with a '71 4x4.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Ironhorse

Just wanted to say thanks again for the replies and the help on the dumbo mirrors. Went like a piece of cake, changed out the mirror and had time to down a cold Bud Light all in about 10 minutes.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks