The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
triggerthetruck

Eeeek! Chassis flex K10 problem. Help!

Help please with information...has anyone experienced chassis flex on the front of a K10? This is...I have just fitted new leaf springs and shocks...and have fixed a lot of my problems which were to do with rough ride...but another problem still remains which is that from time to time, when I hit a pothole/bump...the chassis can ossilate/flex very rapidly...very scary...and the only way to stop it seems to be hard braking...which is sometimes tricky for any following vehicle. Scares the crap out of me too. Has anyone had this and fixed it? I imagine that boxing the chassis rails would sort it...or welding up the rivetted cross members...or adding another cross member? This is really quite a serious/dangerous problem, so if anyone can help me out I would be very grateful. Andrew
triggerthetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
IOWNATRUCK

Re: Eeeek! Chassis flex K10 problem. Help!

I knew a friend that had that flex issue, to be extra safe he decided to weld some more cross members in addition to welding the riveted on so that there would be no way for the issue to come back, once all back together, the first drive, the flex was none existent. Just make sure you get VERY good penetration on the welds since its going to be moving alot, also make sure when you weld the new crossmembers on if you do, to make sure its in the most effective location in regards to the chassi flexing, hope this helps!
IOWNATRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Axle

Have you checked for frame cracks at the steering box?

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
triggerthetruck

Thanks Alex...thats the next thing to try. I did have some very bad cracks behind the box which were repaired...so I think I need to check that next...the wobble effect was very like what I have tried to describe. andrew
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Why have you decided its the frame and not something else? If you think the crossmembers and rivets are loose, why not look at them to see if there are signs of rubbing and/or loose rivets?

I'd guess ball joints and/or steering parts...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
DetroitDan

Google "death wobble", and check youtube too. I think you'll find this is your problem. It is actual oscillation of the front wheels. A heavy duty or double steering stabilizer usually corrects it. Also make sure you don't have any worn out balljoints or wheel bearings, etc, but my money is on the stabilizer. I don't see what size tires you're running, but taller tires obviously magnify the problem. Although mine did it with 31" tall tires. It is scary, only way to make it stop is to stop the truck. Then you can check it all over and not see anything wrong.

I dealt with it last year with my 82 Dana 60 front axle, but I think the k10s suffer from it as well. Jeeps have it too. I dont know why you think it's the frame, I can't see any reason the frame would have anything to do with it, unless like someone mentioned the steering box was walking around. I'd keep the welding on your frame to a minimum. Just weakens the surrounding metal and gives it a new place to crack. Not to mention, isn't there some rules about welding vehicle frames?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Is it like these?

y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
triggerthetruck

...well you definately got that one right. Its just like that!
so, thank you very much and that'll be me with my head underneath for the next hour or so...at least, after it stops raining. Best wishes, andrew
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
triggerthetruck

...well, having had a good look around under there...I see that all the joints are fine...my welding behind the steering box is fine(much to my relief)..there's a slight deformation of the aft shackle bushing material one side...not serious I think...and then theres a bit of play in the pitman arm/steering box splined shaft area...which might make the situation worse...as theres at least two inches of free play on the steering damper before it bites. So I think thats where my problem lies....which gives me another problem...getting the part soon enough. I have it ordered...but around two weeks to get it shipped from somewhere over where near you folk are....and you wouldnt believe the cost!! Probably in the region of $180.... Merd!...as the French say.

So thanks for all your input...its nice to know others are struggling with the same issues...albeit three thousand miles away. ...and its a great truck despite all this.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Prerunner1982

Steering stabalizers only mask the problem... they are there to keep the tires from swerving to one side when you hit a bump with one tire. Not all trucks have them. If you are having "death wobble" there is something worn up front.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
triggerthetruck

I agree...thanks...need to get under there again and check it.