The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which Engine Combo should I choose?
402 Big Block With TBI and Gear Vendors Overdrive 31 28.18%
5.3 with 4l65e or 4l80e Tranny 51 46.36%
6.0 with 4l80e Tranny 16 14.55%
Duramax Detuned with 4l85e Tranny 1 0.91%
Duramax Regular Tune with Allison Tranny 11 10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
jorgensensc

POLL: Which engine setup for Daily Driver?

I'm posting this here because there is more traffic on this side, and it could apply to both trucks and 'burbs.

Ok guys, need your help here. I've been kicking around a bunch of different ideas, but really could use some advice here. I have a '72 Suburban 3/4 ton with a 402 Big Block and Th400 tranny. After much debate and indecision we have decided to make it my daily driver instead of getting another Suburban. Partly because we can't justify having a new 2012 Tahoe Z71, buying a 2005-06 suburban and keeping the '72 Burb. But mainly because my kids LOVE it. Particularly my youngest boys (almost 2 and almost 3 years old). They call it the Vroom Vroom (because when I start it I always goose the gas a couple of times, Vroom Vroom!). By the way, I've got 3 kids, 10 y/o, almost 3 y/o (carseat) almost 2 y/o (carseat) and another due in August (infant seat/car seat). So a car won't work and I can't do a mini van.

So in order to use it as a daily I need to do something engine wise. Money is not limitless, but my wife wants me to do what I want, not necessarily what is cheapest and least expensive. I will be using the money saved from buying an 05-06 Suburban to do the engine swap and other creature comforts (power windows, door locks, possibly factory bucket seats in the front, remote start (if I do a Fuel Injected motor), auto headlights, rearview camera). With that said I'm a bit of a cheap guy.

Mileage is a factor, but so is expense, maintenance, and reliability. I don't tow all the time, but this is a 3/4 ton so I would like to be able to do it if I decide to. I also live near the base of mountains so I do a lot of up hill driving. Also, This project needs to get done fairly quickly, as it is my daily driver. It can be down for a few weeks, but not months on end. I've done a few engine swaps myself, so I'm up to the task.

Here are my options as I see them. They all have pros and cons, thats why I am paralyzed with indecision right now.

Option 1: Freshen the 402 BB in it now, add 454 TBI system (not sure how expensive or feasible that really is, and add used Gear Vendors Overdrive to the th400 I already have in it that is in great shape. The gas mileage probably won't be awesome, but its better than what I get now. I like this idea because it seems the cheapest and it retains the originality of the 402 Big Block.

Option 2: 5.3 (or 6.0) with overdrive tranny (4l65e, 4l80e). This seems to be a good middle of the road idea. Have to deal with the electronic speedo and my mechanical gauges, but the rest seems relatively simple. Not sure that the cost will offset the mileage gains (wifes new 2wd 2012 Z71 Tahoe with 5.3 gets about 12-13 mpg where we live) but its better than what I get now. Don't like that my truck won't be a 402 anymore, have to remove that badges or I will feel like a poseur with Big Block Badging and a 5.3 inside.

Option 3: Duramax swap with either Allison or 4l85e tranny. LOVE this idea, however it can be a timely and very expensive swap. I don't know much about diesels so mechanically I'm in new territory. The Allison tranny will require major rework of tranny tunnel, where as the 4l85e from a detuned van with D-Max will fit relatively easily. I love the idea of the D-Max being a 6.6 also (402) so my badging would stay correct. The fuel mileage would also be pretty good. I'm not planning on hopping it up so I think the detuned D'max with 4l85e will work fine for me, but some might say make the Allison work. This is by far the most expensive option as far as I can see. Also, I think maintenance on Diesels is a little more expensive?

So what do you guys think? Opinions and advice welcomed and desired!!! Thanks in advance for your help!!

Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 01-23-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote