The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Need Some Major Help With Pulleys, Alternator, Water Pump and Crank Alignment

Ok Guys,

I figured I would post a new thread as I somewhat have figured out what is going on with my pulleys not lining up from the PO's great work lol. Now I have some questions and decisions to make.

This all started with me needing to replace my crank pulley cause it has a wobble. The balancer is new and spot on, but the pulley seems off center, which makes sense after figuring out the mess I have going on.

My 72 C10 350 has a long water pump on it with the alternator bracket now on the passenger side. It has a newer style power steering pump that lines up horribly with the crank. And the crank and water pump have extra pulleys bolted to the front of them.

So my question is do I go back to the stock setup with the short pump, alternator on the drivers side, and new (correct) PS pump. The kicker is I will most likely have to buy new brackets for everything, which I have no clue where to get unless I want to go billet.

Something has to be done cause this is bad news, so is there any way to keep my current setup but get a different PS pump that lines up correctly, and get later model crank and water pump pulleys? I am lost and need to figure this out so I can start buying the correct parts and get this done.

As usual you guys kick ass!! Thanks!

Here are some pics of my nightmare:

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Bpokey

Re: Need Some Major Help With Pulleys, Alternator, Water Pump and Crank Alignment

I scored a serpentine setup from a mid 90's c1500. In my opinion this is the best cheap way to go. They should be easy to find with all the vehicles turned in with cash for clunkers.
Bpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Re: Need Some Major Help With Pulleys, Alternator, Water Pump and Crank Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpokey View Post
I scored a serpentine setup from a mid 90's c1500. In my opinion this is the best cheap way to go. They should be easy to find with all the vehicles turned in with cash for clunkers.
Its funny that you say that, I just got off the phone with a guy who has a serpentine setup for a 350. He bought it for his 1985 chevy 350 pickup which should have the long pump?

he has all the stuff never installed, but it does have a setup for an AC pump, I have no AC so could I just get a shorter belt and not install the ac stuff?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Bpokey

They make a idler pulley that bolts in place of the a/c compressor. It is a oem part but I have never seen the idler at a junk yard. I love the serpentine setup, no squeaking or squeeling. Check out the FAQ section under engine and drivetrain. There is a lot of info there and there is a picture of a serpentine setup with no a/c on page 2 I think.

Last edited by Bpokey; 02-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Bpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Well, problem solved, I thought I remembered seeing a serpentine setup on my local craigslist a few weeks back for a 350, so I called the guy and he still had it. Its a complete OE GM serp setup for a 350 crate motor with everything, even instructions and bolts.

He bought it for a project and never used it back in 06, its been sitting in the box ever since, he paid $1800...ouch.

Anyways I got both back plates, new water pump, new PS pump, new alternator, new AC pump (which I don't need), all the hardware all new for a steal of a deal. I'm excited, can't wait to put it on.

Thanks for the help guys

Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
culp7
HickTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus View Post
Well, problem solved, I thought I remembered seeing a serpentine setup on my local craigslist a few weeks back for a 350, so I called the guy and he still had it. Its a complete OE GM serp setup for a 350 crate motor with everything, even instructions and bolts.

He bought it for a project and never used it back in 06, its been sitting in the box ever since, he paid $1800...ouch.

Anyways I got both back plates, new water pump, new PS pump, new alternator, new AC pump (which I don't need), all the hardware all new for a steal of a deal. I'm excited, can't wait to put it on.

Thanks for the help guys
dang, and you scored it for how much???
1976 Dodge Aspen W/ 225
2000 Toyota Tundra w/4.7
1987 Dodge Ram D-100 w/360
255/70-15
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by culp7 View Post
dang, and you scored it for how much???
$400 for everything, I see a lot of guys got units from scrap yards for a lot cheaper but I like that all of the units are new. Now I will see how much stuff will have to be modded tomorrow lol.

I am hoping I can utilize my PS pump lines and stuff like that but now I need a reverse cooling fan, I am running a Flex-A-Lite right now, but I cant use it anymore.