The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
386kustoms

can u bolt a c30 front suspension on a c10 frame

im looking to do a project, and of course i decide to go the dually route. anyway my question is can i unbolt the stock front end off a c30 dually meaning upper and lower control arms, spindle and brakes and will that bolt directly on to my c10 frame? im using a rear out of a later model chevy truck but i still want the dually style front wheels. also if this does work would i need any of the brake components to like the master or prop valve for the dually style front end?
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
70cst

Re: can u bolt a c30 front suspension on a c10 frame

Hey 386kustoms ... I moved this so you might get better responses to your questions.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
wheatlandbrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Hey 386kustoms ... I moved this so you might get better responses to your questions.
i apologize for the inconvenience but do you think you could do the same for me... i have a similar question under the 67-72 message board. thanks so much if you can.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Well first, there are differences in 1/2-ton and 1-ton frames, so don't make the mistake of assuming you've turned your 1/2-ton into a 1-ton.

I've only researched this in detail for 1972 trucks. I know there are differences in the front suspension but it is basically the same from '63 through 87 plus the Suburbans and Blazers a few more years. I think you'd want to confirm this for the years of the two trucks you are dealing with, but most likely there is a way to make it work.

What I looked at was the suspension rebuild parts for a C20 and C30 and confirmed that most of those parts are the same, and often the same as C10 parts. I'm using a C20 IFS in a 1-ton application and wanted to be sure the C20 was up to the task.

If the two shafts where the upper and lower a-arms attach are the same part numbers there should be no problem with the swap you want to make.

If they are not I'd consider swapping the whole crossmember. While there are some differences in hole sizes and locations the crossmembers are the same on the pickups and should swap with no more than a little trouble.

Your brakes question is complicated by the rear axle change. You want your master cylinder bores to match what was originally provided by GM front and back. Its another part number and spec research project. If the rear from the 1-ton has similar brakes to what you've put under the truck, the safe answer is to take the stuff from the 1-ton and use all of it.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
386kustoms

thanx for the input, i realize by putting the susp on i am not making a 1 ton truck out of a 1/2 ton, i want to make a dually on airride just for looks. im going to be using the rear out of a later model chevy dually either late 80s or 90s because they are wider
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
TriggerMan

386, did you ever go anywhere with this? I am thinking of doing something similar with a 68 GMC half ton and 90 G30. I am planning on using the whole drive train and suspension out of the G30. Wondering how much fabrication I will have to do to make it work.
TriggerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
SCOTI

1/2 & 1-ton front x-members will interchange so a 1-ton x-member can be swapped into a 1/2 ton chassis.

On 73-91's, the 1-ton upper a-arm studs are larger 9/16" vs the 1/2 tons 1/2" studs so the upper a-arm shaft is similar but different. I've never dug into a pre-73 1-ton to know if the studs were the larger 9/16" back then as well so I can't say for sure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
TriggerMan

Thanks for the reply. If I can find the motivation tomorrow I will start working on stripping the van down tomorrow. I will most likely start a new thread of the work.
TriggerMan is offline   Reply With Quote