The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
bondo510

Anyone ever raise the front control arm mounts

I had a 89 suburban with air bags and air ride controll arms a while ago. The front lower control arm mounts hit everything. It ended up getting all messed up in a short time. I just got a 68 suburban and am going to do a basic air bag set up on it with 16 to 18 inch wheels. I have seen the raised cross members and I know you can buy some really nice raised ones now. I am thinking I can just raise the mounts up into the subframe on the cross member. Has anyone done this?
bondo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Anyone ever raise the front controll arm mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo510 View Post
I had a 89 suburban with air bags and air ride controll arms a while ago. The front lower control arm mounts hit everything. It ended up getting all messed up in a short time. I just got a 68 suburban and am going to do a basic air bag set up on it with 16 to 18 inch wheels. I have seen the raised cross members and I know you can buy some really nice raised ones now. I am thinking I can just raise the mounts up into the subframe on the cross member. Has anyone done this?
Search using the terms 'notched', 'pancaked', or 'sectioned' crossmember for ideas & info. I have a sectioned 1 3/8" crossmember in my dually.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
bondo510

Yep that is what I did and read everything. What I asking is different. I want to know if anyone raised just the lower control arm mounting points.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo510 View Post
Yep that is what I did and read everything. What I asking is different. I want to know if anyone raised just the lower control arm mounting points.
Gotcha. Good luck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
snacks

you can raise the ball joint with a lot of work but the whole arm ? not sure
snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
jimmydean

I would think if you raised just the lower it would throw your geometry off in a very bad way. There is a reason people go with a sectioned or raised crossmember rather than just moving the lower up.

But maybe you are exploring something nobody has thought about.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
kpeztruck

Raising just the lower control arm mounts will definately throw off the geometry in the front suspension. It will mess up the camber swing through out the wheel travel up and down, and could possibly change bump steer depending on how all the geometry worked out. All of this will cause dangerous driving conditions, unless properly engineered. Now if you could raise upper and lower control arm mounts, and some how insure they all stayed in the same realtionship one to another, and was strong, it could work. Depends on how much work, engineering, and possibly liability you are willing to accept. Paul
kpeztruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeztruck View Post
Now if you could raise upper and lower control arm mounts, and some how insure they all stayed in the same realtionship one to another, and was strong, it could work. Depends on how much work, engineering, and possibly liability you are willing to accept. Paul
That's what sectioning (aka pancaked) accomplishes. buy moving the crossmember mount position down, you are moving the arm mounts up without changing the geometry (if done correctly).
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeztruck View Post
Raising just the lower control arm mounts will definately throw off the geometry in the front suspension. It will mess up the camber swing through out the wheel travel up and down, and could possibly change bump steer depending on how all the geometry worked out. All of this will cause dangerous driving conditions, unless properly engineered. Now if you could raise upper and lower control arm mounts, and some how insure they all stayed in the same realtionship one to another, and was strong, it could work. Depends on how much work, engineering, and possibly liability you are willing to accept. Paul
There's also the possibility that slight change between the upper & lower mounting points could improve the camber curve (meaning the GM truck set-ups were not engineered for handling/camber gain). In order to say it's good or bad would require plotting it all out for evaluation.

If a guy doesn't know how to evaluate the changes, it's best to keep things consistent (IE move both upper & lower together) to help minimize potential screw-ups.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
There's also the possibility that slight change between the upper & lower mounting points could improve the camber curve (meaning the GM truck set-ups were not engineered for handling/camber gain). In order to say it's good or bad would require plotting it all out for evaluation.

If a guy doesn't know how to evaluate the changes, it's best to keep things consistent (IE move both upper & lower together) to help minimize potential screw-ups.
NoLimitRob is working on exactly this- I'm curious to see the results...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
fastbagged68

This might be what your looking for.....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=60649
Posted via Mobile Device
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
kpeztruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

Very true, I was speaking in terms of the average home mechanic with limited fabricating skills. This is outside of my abilities, hence the reason I have my chassis fabricator take care of stuff that is above my pay-grade. The suspension in my truck was designed specifically for drag racing, as it has almost zero camber movement, and less than 1/8" of bump steer. Again, I did not design this, too much math/geometry that I have no idea how to use to gain the needed information to complete this type of fabrication. Paul
kpeztruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
bondo510

Re: Anyone ever raise the front control arm mounts

fastbagged68 that was a good link thanks! I think raising them on something really dropped will help. I can not see any negative effects from this. It may even help bump steer. From what I can see I think the upper ball joint may need to be angled down .
Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
dv8customs

Re: Anyone ever raise the front control arm mounts

I did it on mine, reworked the stock cross member so that the arms were moved up 3" and inward 1-1/8". Did the same for the uppers. I am not using that cross member now but there should be pics somewhere in my build thread showing it.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote