The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
matts86chev

Blower/blower switch/choke/choke light?

So the last week or so my heater on my '86 Chevy C10 had been making a high pitched squeal especially when it was really cold. I live in MN right now so it's been below zero a lot lately. All the sudden today on the way to work it stopped blowing. I could still feel heat in the vents and the engine wasn't overheating but the choke light came on as well and wouldn't go off. Once I got to work and parked it did seem like the choke was on while it idled so I don't know what correlation those have if any or how to check what part might be the culprit. Help would be great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
chengny

Re: Blower/blower switch/choke/choke light?

Choke light on while the engine is running - that's bad medicine!

The choke light can be more thought of as an low oil pressure warning. Seriously who really cares whether on not their choke heater is getting power. GM designed the choke heater to start pulling the choke open as soon as oil pressure was established - this was in the days before ECM's and stuff.

When you put the ignition switch in the run position the choke light illuminates. As soon as you start the engine, oil pressure (10 psi for that switch) develops and closes the switch this extinguishes the choke light and power is then directed to the choke heater.

If you have gauges and the oil pressure looks okay you can safely assume that the switch is bad or a wire has failed. Fix it when you get a chance.

If you don't have gauges I would make sure that you actually have oil pressure before running the engine again.

From the GM shop manual for 1986 C/K trucks:

Many trucks utilize a warning light on the instrument panel in place of the conventional dash indicating gauge to warn the driver when the oil pressure is dangerously low. The warning light is wired in series with the ignition switch and the engine unit--which is an oil pressure switch.
The oil pressure switch contains a diaphragm and a set of contacts. When the ignition switch is turned on, the warning light circuit is energized and the circuit is completed through the closed contacts in the pressure switch. When the engine is started, build-up of oil pressure compresses the diaphragm, opening the contacts, thereby breaking the circuit and putting out the light.

TROUBLESHOOTING
On some models, the oil pressure indicator light also serves as the electric choke defect indicator. If Oil or ENG. indicator light does not light, check to ensure electric choke is not disconnected at carburetor. Also check for defect in electric choke heater, blown gauge fuse or defect in lamp or wiring circuit. If indicator light stays on with engine running possible causes are: oil pressure is low, switch to indicator light wiring has an open circuit, oil pressure switch wire connector has disconnected or on some models, gauge or radio fuse has blown.

The oil pressure warning light should go on when the ignition is turned on. If it does not light, disconnect the wire from the engine unit and ground the wire to the frame or cylinder block. Then if the warning light still does not go on with the ignition switch on, replace the bulb.
If the warning light goes on when the wire is grounded to the frame or cylinder block, the engine unit should be checked for being loose or poorly grounded. If the unit is found to be tight and properly grounded, it should be removed and a new one installed. (The presence of sealing compound on the threads of the engine unit will cause a poor ground.)
If the warning light remains lit when it normally should be out, replace the engine unit before proceeding further to determine the cause for a low pressure indication.
The warning light will sometimes light up or flicker when the engine is idling, even though the oil pressure is adequate. However, the light should go out when the engine speed is increased.

Diagnosis & Testing
Possible conditions for the electric choke not operating properly are listed as follows (use a voltmeter to check oil pressure and choke coil circuits):

1.Low or no engine oil pressure.
2.Faulty oil pressure switch.
3.No current to oil pressure switch due to:
a.Burned out fuse.
b.Broken wire to oil pressure switch.
4.No current between choke and oil pressure switch due to:
a.Broken lead wire.
b.Wire terminal not properly secured on coil terminal.
c.Faulty ground circuit between choke assembly and housing grounding plate.
5.Faulty choke coil assembly.
I can't think of any connection between the vent fan failing and the choke light.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
matts86chev

Thanks for all that! I'll have to check some of those connections. I have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and it's reading that I've got the usual pressure. I have no idea why or where there would be a link between the blower and the choke or choke light but yesterday if I turned the blower on at all the choke light would come on and no blowing then turn the air off and the choke light goes back off... Makes no sense to me lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

check the quality of your anti freeze
how low does it protect too
is it low? got air?
the cold air going threw a hot rad looses heat
if it ices up,don't know if that would light it up tho
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
sk7786

I've just changed my vavle cover gaskets, now my choke light is on. its running fine and the oil pressure is reading 30 at idle on my aftermarket gauge. when i unplug the wire from the choke the light goes off. I'm thinking that when i was pulling the valve covers off i screwed up a wire somewhere? any help would be great. thanks
sk7786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
sk7786

bump!!
sk7786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
1985_C10

my choke light also comes on when it wants to. itll turn on and go off randomly. my oil pressure reads about 30 at idle but my electric choke is no longer hooked up and there isnt a fuse in the block for the choke. could the missing fuse just make it turn on and off?
1985_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote