The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
davee60

Buying a vehicle for parts

Hi All,

I have located a 1966 truck that I would like to buy for parts only. From the looks of it, it has not been driven for some time. The seller is a private party. The seller has lost the title, and has told me he will provide a bill of sale. I don't plan to register the "parts" truck, only use the parts on a truck that already has a valid California registration.

My question is: how important is it to get a title from the seller, given that I don't ever plan to register the "parts" truck VIN?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions are appreciated...Thanks!

Dave
davee60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: Buying a vehicle for parts

Get the VIN and ask about it at your local Dmv.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
jdl71

Assuming the seller is trustworthy, and if you never intend to register it, or sell it to someone who will then I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned if you have a concern have the VIN ran by someone at the DMV or local sheriff. If it's been sitting for while it's probably not in the system any longer.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
T.W.Dustin

Take what you need and part out the rest - that is what most people do. For vehicles this old many states have the option to apply for titles but if it's a parts vehicle I wouldn't worry about the title.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
davee60

Thanks everyone for the input. I do have the VIN so I will check with the local DMV tomorrow and see what's up. As mentioned, I don't intend to register it, just use it for parts and part out the rest. Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
jdl71

Unless you are really concerned about it being stolen I wouldn't even bother with that.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

not sure what the rules in ca are, but a bill of sale from him to you should probably cover it. I assume where you might run into problems is when you need to get rid of what is left.
sometimes a scrap yard or salvage yard will have you sign off on the vin when you get rid of it, so if there is any question it would be good to have the paper trail leading back to the previous owner.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Having the title makes the frame and cab more valuable if you intend to sell those.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
blown240

The seller can get a replacement title for $15. If you have that, then you can sell the cab for more money. BUT, if it hasn't been registered for over 15 years I think, then it drops out of the DMV system, and getting a title for it becomes a bit more work.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

You can take the advice to not worry, and hope for the best. Or, make a quick trip to the Dmv and ease all concerns.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
blown240

If you have AAA you can do it there too....
Old 11-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
63burban
Chevy addict

A title is always a good thing to have regardless of what the truck will be used for.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
davee60

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. Here is what I learned about this process, at least in California.

First, neither the Auto Club or local police department would run the VIN. However, the guy at the info desk at the DMV helped me out after only a short 5 minute wait in line. He ran the VIN and was able to tell me that the truck was not stolen or anything like that. To complete the purchase, I would need 2 forms: Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (bill of sale), and Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (it's a pink form). The title application form has sections for the seller and buyer to complete. This form effectively transfers the title directly to the buyer, and invalidates the prior title (in the event that the seller would later find the missing title). Both forms get submitted to the DMV, and a new title is issued to the buyer.

Well, I haven't actually put this into practice, but if I do proceed with this purchase, I will report back on the end result. Like a few people said, having a title would be extra peace of mind in the event of selling the cab or frame. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #14
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Good you went to DMV! In Washington, a scrapyard won't usually touch a vehicle without appropriate paperwork.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...

Last edited by ETsC10; 11-19-2015 at 12:54 AM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee60 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. Here is what I learned about this process, at least in California.

First, neither the Auto Club or local police department would run the VIN. However, the guy at the info desk at the DMV helped me out after only a short 5 minute wait in line. He ran the VIN and was able to tell me that the truck was not stolen or anything like that. To complete the purchase, I would need 2 forms: Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (bill of sale), and Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (it's a pink form). The title application form has sections for the seller and buyer to complete. This form effectively transfers the title directly to the buyer, and invalidates the prior title (in the event that the seller would later find the missing title). Both forms get submitted to the DMV, and a new title is issued to the buyer.

Well, I haven't actually put this into practice, but if I do proceed with this purchase, I will report back on the end result. Like a few people said, having a title would be extra peace of mind in the event of selling the cab or frame. Thanks again everyone!
If it's that simple then I would go ahead and do it. No offense but I'm stunned that CA has a regulation that is less stringent and oppressing than here in MO. It's a nightmare trying to get a title here when one doesn't exist and a lot of decent cars and trucks have gone to the scrap yard because of that. Good luck.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 11-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
davee60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
If it's that simple then I would go ahead and do it. No offense but I'm stunned that CA has a regulation that is less stringent and oppressing than here in MO. It's a nightmare trying to get a title here when one doesn't exist and a lot of decent cars and trucks have gone to the scrap yard because of that. Good luck.
+1 on being stunned! As I stated, I haven't actually succeeded with this process yet, but if it works out then I will post my end result. Thanks again for all the feedback, the knowledge on this forum is appreciated!

Oh, and BTW, I may end up with a bunch of extra parts for sale.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:56 AM   #17
dieseldude4bt

That application for duplicate title assumes that the seller is the titled owner, of course many non titled vehicle owners are not.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #18
davee60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
That application for duplicate title assumes that the seller is the titled owner, of course many non titled vehicle owners are not.
The DMV was actually very helpful in this regard. They couldn't give me the title holder's name, but since I knew the sellers name, I asked them, "Is the name on the title James D?" and they confirmed it that way.

Thanks again everyone...I learn something new every day!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #19
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Great news! I so wish everyone was like you. So many stories of folks having to miss good deals because someone 5 owners back dropped the ball!

Keep us informed!
Ellen

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
That would make a tremendous difference then. It's no big deal here for the registered owner to get a duplicate title either, it's when it's changed hands 5,6,7 times since the last titled owner who is unknown, long moved away, dead, etc.

64 C10

66 K20