The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
amikk97

opinions on headers?

Due to a crack in my manifold im looking to replace them with a set of headers. however, im still running a catalytic converter, will headers still work with one? i still have to go through emissions and stuff so i cant remove it yet but i need to get the manifold replaced asap. im currently looking to get these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9006/overview/
they seem to have good reviews and im on a tight budget so im thinking about pulling the trigger on these when i get my next paycheck. what do you guys think? is it worth it? or should i just get a new manifold?
Old 07-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: opinions on headers?

Tight budget, headers, emissions and need it now don't really work well together. IMO, go to a salvage yard and get a replacement stock manifold to fix your 'need it now' problem.

Then if you want headers, research your state's emission laws to make sure you get a compliant set of headers. It would really suck to get headers installed just to find out your state doesn't allow that brand/model. Also research the cost of getting your Y-pipe modified plus the various brackets you will need to mount the accessories(AC, PS, Alt, etc) on the headers. If your state allows, you might be able to do a true dual setup with headers and two cats but that might exceed your current budget.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
MikeB

Check out Dorman 674158 (right) and 674231 (left) at RockAuto, Summit Racing, or Amazon. Looks like even Wal-Mart can get them for you. Cost is ~$80 each.

I was thinking about headers for my C10's new 355, but decided on 96-99 350 Vortec cast iron manifolds. Can't speak to their performance yet, but those pickups made lots of torque and decent horsepower, something like 255 hp net, which is greater than 300 hp in pre-1971 and crate engine terms (gross at the flywheel).
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
dfrank

I have them same headers on my truck. The paint sucks and burns off fairly quickly and then they rust. I had to modify them to clear the #3 (I think) plug wire to work with my worlds products heads. If I where you than I would just get a replacement manifold for now and save up for a nice set of ceramic coated headers.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrank View Post
I have them same headers on my truck. The paint sucks and burns off fairly quickly and then they rust. I had to modify them to clear the #3 (I think) plug wire to work with my worlds products heads. If I where you than I would just get a replacement manifold for now and save up for a nice set of ceramic coated headers.
Interesting tidbit... The paint on headers is never to be considered a heat barrier coating or long lasting exhaust coating from any manufacturer unless so stated. It's just there to keep them from rusting on the shelf (sometimes unsuccessfully). Strip the black shelf coating and use a real header paint at the very minimum if you want them to last.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
willem445

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
Interesting tidbit... The paint on headers is never to be considered a heat barrier coating or long lasting exhaust coating from any manufacturer unless so stated. It's just there to keep them from rusting on the shelf (sometimes unsuccessfully). Strip the black shelf coating and use a real header paint at the very minimum if you want them to last.
This is interesting. I was looking at the same headers that OP listed. Is there specific paint just for headers or would any old high heat paint work. Like the Rustoleum high heat engine spray paint?
willem445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Speeding Dakota

I agree with Dead Parrot - if your on a tight budget and need it now with little exhaust modifications, then I would just get a replacement manifold from a yard.

If your still looking at headers, my advise would be to save up to get a ceramic coated set and you will not need to worry about rust. I got these from Summit for just a bit more $$ http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...olet/model/c10
Speeding Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
I did not know that. It does make sense though. I did sandblast them twice and painted them with vht header paint and it held up a little bit longer both times. I think the vht header paint probably would have worked better if I had a proper oven to cure the paint in.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
TrybalRage

For the price these days, I'd just get a stainless set. I've seen them on ebay for under $120.

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote