The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
weider1717

exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe torque value?

I torqued my original cast iron manifolds to the block per torque values I found on the net 26ft lbs on the 2 inner bolts and 20ft lbs on the outer bolts.

Question - Is there a torque value for the exhaust manifold STUDS to the exhaust pipe? I can't find any online this is for a 1987 1/2 ton silver ado model v10. Maybe the manifold to pipe typically doesn't have a torque value? but surely it does not everyone has common sense and I like things to spec.

it just says 2 inner bolts 26ft lbs all other bolts 20ft lbs think that just refers to manifold to head though.

I'm by the book so if there is a value I would rather just torque to spec. thanks
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe torque value?

That's one I'd rather do by feel and get it gudentite. If you try taking it to a specific number it might snap and give you more grief than it's worth. Snug it up tight as you feel comfortable - if it don't leak you are good. I've got a manual and can look it up if you want though.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
That's one I'd rather do by feel and get it gudentite. If you try taking it to a specific number it might snap and give you more grief than it's worth. Snug it up tight as you feel comfortable - if it don't leak you are good. I've got a manual and can look it up if you want though.
If you wouldn't mind looking for me I would appreciate it. Remember this is on the bottom end where the manifold / studs mate up to the exhaust pipe. the manifolds are already in place and torqued to spec to the heads.

need to know what torque to put on the nuts I have all new hardware, spring, nuts, studs so hopefully won't have to touch this for awhile.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

17 ft/lbs. I wouldn't have guessed it that low. I forgot you'd restored your manifolds. Nice work and beautiful truck.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
weider1717

Thanks bruiser!

I'm a bit confused though I remember the spring load tension (by looks) on the original springs when I removed them and took note of how much threads were exposed etc.

before your response I set my torque wrench to 5ftlbs and never got the "click" and I was about where I marked them to be before I removed them.

I'll take it for what its worth and torque to 17ftlbs though and see how things look.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
cadillac_al

I thought this was going to be a thread about a broken stud from a cheap torque wrench. I guess you lucked out so far because I read about it all the time. I did it once myself in my younger days. You wait for the click and the bolt/stud goes snap. I think some of these torque values are just to give you an idea how tight to crank on it with your wrist. I have gone on rants in the past about cheap clicker torque wrenches. I still rebuild engines with my old old beam type torque wrench and it hasn't failed me yet.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about a broken stud from a cheap torque wrench. I guess you lucked out so far because I read about it all the time. I did it once myself in my younger days. You wait for the click and the bolt/stud goes snap. I think some of these torque values are just to give you an idea how tight to crank on it with your wrist. I have gone on rants in the past about cheap clicker torque wrenches. I still rebuild engines with my old old beam type torque wrench and it hasn't failed me yet.
Based on a Car Craft or Hot Rod article on torque wrenches, I picked up a HF $10.00 model - according to their testing it was as accurate as any of them. My Craftsman model died recently, and a buddy was over helping me put heads on a motor. He brought his 30 yr old Snap On. Out of the box, that cheap HF wrench torqued to the same spec that Snap On wrench did. I don't know how it'll hold up though, I kinda feel like a need a more expensive one to rely on.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build